How can I get into Cambridge for biological natural science?

Watch
hariisawesome
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi guys, any help is hugely appreciated! Doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics at the moment, but was wondering which combination of subjects will be most beneficial? I need to drop one of these, and was thinking of further maths, but will this hinder my chance of getting in? Also how much is based on NSAA/interview scores? Thank you very much!
Lizzibethneri
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My friend received an offer for biological natural science with A levels in biology, chemistry, maths and Spanish. So I don't think dropping further maths will hinder your chances as it's not like your doing physical. Also with the interview scores that I do not know, sorry.
hariisawesome
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Lizzibethneri)
My friend received an offer for biological natural science with A levels in biology, chemistry, maths and Spanish. So I don't think dropping further maths will hinder your chances as it's not like your doing physical. Also with the interview scores that I do not know, sorry.
Thank you very much! What was their grades?
Lizzibethneri
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by hariisawesome)
Thank you very much! What was their grades?
She hasn't gotten her grades yet but her offer was A*A*A and her grade in Spanish didn't matter.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A-level Chemistry and Biology would be most relevant to the biosciences generally, and A-level Maths is required for NatSci in any case usually. I imagine FM won't really be that relevant to bioscience options (maybe useful if you do Part III Systems Biology?), and while I understand some physics-adjacent material crops up in physiology options, from what I've read it isn't at such a high level and is apparently usually accessible to people with only physics to GCSE.

I'd probably suggest dropping A-level Physics at least, since you can in theory still take Part IA Physics if you really want (and thus have the full run of Part IA options potentially) with A-level Maths and FM if you take mechanics options in FM (in practice I don't know if this is that common), and maths/FM will have more synergy with each other and the cumulative content might help keep your workload at reasonable levels - provided you are good at and motivated for maths.

Realistically they don't require you to take 4 subjects and just taking A-level Biology/Chemistry/Maths should be sufficient. It might be worth noting the Advanced Maths and Physics section on the NSAA presupposes A-level Physics content, so taking A-level FM alone may not be enough to keep that as an option to answer in the NSAA if need be...

Meowstic is a NatSci, albeit a physical one, and might be able to offer some advice? Reality Check might also be able to advise on the bioscience side, in terms of how much A-level content may crop up/be useful?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 6 months ago
username3331778
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There are loads of physical natscis who didn't have further maths a level. You don't need either that or physics, keep whichever you think you will do better in. Doing five A Levels is definitely overkill anyway, and the only reason to do four is if you are including something like further maths which isn't really a whole A Level of work for people already doing maths.
I would reiterate what was said above: that, after you are there, further maths is far more useful than physics which is kind of a dumb A Level. Keeping it means that you are still keeping IA Physics open while also having a good chance to not struggle in whatever maths paper you do in first year. They are only going to give you an offer based on three A Levels anyway and, if you are doing well in maths, further maths isn't as much of an increase in work compared to physics which has quite a lot of content.
Have a look at nsaa papers and see which sections you would be best at answering in the allotted time, it's more of an exercise in time management than anything else. At least one of the longer physics question is just mechanics or something similar so is absolutely accessible by people doing further maths (and those people will actually do it properly...)
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you aren't interested in physics, I would recommend you drop that. I recently got an offer with the same A levels (minus physics), and I think some of further maths is useful provided you take statistics modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed