How much off a difference is there between AS Chemistry and A2 Chemistry.

Watch
HaberBosch___
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,
This year was my first year off A-Level chemistry and next year i’m moving into A2 Chemistry. Just wanted to know your thoughts on which year you found harder/easier than the other? and as to what to expect going into A2, Thanks.
username5064508
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I did AQA A level Chemistry, so the course may vary by exam board.

I would say that in my experience, organic chem is mostly the same in difficulty, just more content to learn. In my class, the biologists found the biological chem topics towards the end easy, while I know that the physicists struggled with it so I think that the biochem is 50/50. NMR is quite a hard topic to cover, but practicing it helps a lot.

Inorganic isn't too bad, but transition metals sometimes can be hard to get your head around. I find that inorganic was more interesting in A2 but that's just personal preference. Period 3 Oxides is a very short topic but requires a lot of memorisation.

The first few physical chemistry topics, Thermodynamics and Kinetics, are quite easy and the maths isn't too intensive. Electrochemical Cells and Acids and Bases is more difficult, but there are plenty of resources online to help.

I know I haven't made it sound like a walk in the park, but it's really not too bad if you didn't struggle too much in AS. Just trying to give a realistic overview of how my class found A2 Chem.
HaberBosch___
Rep:
(Original post by HRobson_BMC)

I would say that in my experience, organic chem is mostly the same in difficulty, just more content to learn. In my class, the biologists found the biological chem topics towards the end easy, while I know that the physicists struggled with it so I think that the biochem is 50/50. NMR is quite a hard topic to cover, but practicing it helps a lot.

Inorganic isn't too bad, but transition metals sometimes can be hard to get your head around. I find that inorganic was more interesting in A2 but that's just personal preference. Period 3 Oxides is a very short topic but requires a lot of memorisation.

The first few physical chemistry topics, Thermodynamics and Kinetics, are quite easy and the maths isn't too intensive. Electrochemical Cells and Acids and Bases is more difficult, but there are plenty of resources online to help.

I know I haven't made it sound like a walk in the park, but it's really not too bad if you didn't struggle too much in AS. Just trying to give a realistic overview of how my class found A2 Chem.
No worries at all, thanks for the response! I’d rather you were upfront about it, was a pretty interesting overview.
Fortunately i also do biology and biochemistry is a topic i’m passionate about, and anything that requires straight memorisation and regurgitation in chemistry is much more appealing than actually having to understand and get your head around mechanisms and how they work(in my opinion ofc)
HaberBosch___
Rep:
(Original post by HRobson_BMC)

hey btw, how big of an impact did they practicals from AS have on A2, did they carry over at all and if so is it worth learning them all?
username5064508
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HaberBosch___)
hey btw, how big of an impact did they practicals from AS have on A2, did they carry over at all and if so is it worth learning them all?
Hmm, to my memory I would say that there isn't really much overlap between the AS and A2 practicals, some of the first practicals of AS are basic skills, I.e. RP 1 (making a solution) which are then applied for some of the later ones but that's mostly it.

I suppose that practicals 3 and 7 are both similar in that they focus on rates of reaction. The basic understanding of collision theory is applied to both here but I don't think it's necessary to learn practical 3 in preparation for practical 7.

Similarly, both 5 and 10 focus on doing an organic reaction and collecting the product. The processes are somewhat lengthy with multiple steps but again not really worth learning until you start revising for paper 3.

I hope that this helps answer your question.

Tl;dr - not much overlap, no need to learn until exam revision imo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads