Bunnelbyboi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm doing an essay on motivation and focus in relation to a task that you'd rather not be doing. (In this case I'm trying to improve my work ethic for writing essays, where previously I'd do them the night they were due, now I'm trying to write a full draft in a healthier time-frame)

This includes a 5-day plan with several different theories applied to staying focused and motivation. A lot of these are the if-then model, sacred space and changing your defaults.

I wanted to know if anyone has written similar essays or has similar struggles and how they've overcome these types of issues in the past and whether they can advice any good reading material for the evaluation.

Thanks a lot!
Raejosh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Bunnelbyboi)
I'm doing an essay on motivation and focus in relation to a task that you'd rather not be doing. (In this case I'm trying to improve my work ethic for writing essays, where previously I'd do them the night they were due, now I'm trying to write a full draft in a healthier time-frame)

This includes a 5-day plan with several different theories applied to staying focused and motivation. A lot of these are the if-then model, sacred space and changing your defaults.

I wanted to know if anyone has written similar essays or has similar struggles and how they've overcome these types of issues in the past and whether they can advice any good reading material for the evaluation.

Thanks a lot!
How I write essays:
1. Plan an overall direction for the essay. For example, in an essay about gender roles in A Streetcar Named Desire, my general answer might be about the threat of modernizing women to traditional male values.
2. Plan the foci of 3-4 paragraphs, based on your overall direction. E.g. discussing the above idea, I might start with a paragraph about Stanley's reliance on traditional gender roles to keep his power, then have a paragraph about him feeling threatened by Blanche's feminine power, and finish with a paragraph about aggression being the product of masculine vulnerability. That way, I could plan a conclusion which focuses on my overall idea and which relates back well to the question.
3. Choose a moment from the text that you're going to focus on in each paragraph. You will also need to quote from across the text as a whole, but knowing which paragraph you're going to do your deep analysis on is very helpful.
4. Write the essay, making sure I include all the assessment objectives in each paragraph.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (580)
34.28%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (696)
41.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (339)
20.04%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.55%

Watched Threads