Which UK university for my masters? KCL, UCL, Durham, etc.?

Watch
KayseriJunge_96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey!

Im 23 years old, from Germany, interested in studying a business / management related subject in the UK.

I have applied for the following Masters programmes:

- King's College London (MSc. Accountability, Accounting and Financial Management)
- UCL School of Management (MSc. Management)
- University of Durham (MSc. Management (Finance)
- St. Andrews (MLett. in International Business)
- University of Edinburgh ( MSc. Management)
- London Business School (MSc. Management)
- Imperial College London Business School (MSc. International Management)

I have received a conditional offer fromt the first four and still waiting for the answers of the last three programmes.

Based on your experiences, which one do you think is best in terms of reputation, employment opportunities, overall education level, etc.?

If your anwer is LBS or Imperial College, what would be next best programme since I haven't received their answers yet and they might very likely be rejections.

My own preference would be the Unversity of Edinburgh, however, I don't know if i can decline the offer by UCL or would be able to decline an potential offer by Imperial College London.

I would really apperciate any advice and help regarding this topic.

Thank you very much in advance for all the answers.
LoydIrving
Badges: 9
Report 1 year ago
Hello!

At first, congratulations on your offers! It is true that Imperial and LBS are your best choices in terms of institutions and programs, both are career-focused/practical degrees and the program layouts/curriculums are cutting-edge. I don't think it would be wise to turn them down for any of the other school you applied to.

Having said that, what is your goal? Where do you wanna work? Do you want to go for Investment Banking or MBB consulting? If so, you better choose UCL as it might be the only school where you could start this kind of career (and it would still be considered a semi target).

If you are looking for something else, I believe you should just ditch Durham and Saint Andrews and focus on what really matters, the programs.
This is, in my opinion, what should determine your choice if you have a good perception of what these universities of these could offer you.

Considering that King's, UCL and Edinburgh are three excellent institutions (although UCL might be considered as the best among these 3), thus, which atmosphere and location would you prefer? Where would you think you would be the most successful? Where would you fit the most in terms of career clubs/extra-curricular? Which one has your preferred study abroad opportunities? You should think about the one where you could get the best grades and where you could where you could get involved the most. Also, keep in mind that King's and UCL have the London advantage for networking, which is non negligible.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate if you have any other questions!

Cheers
Last edited by LoydIrving; 1 year ago
KayseriJunge_96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Archeklain)
Hello!

At first, congratulations on your offers! It is true that Imperial and LBS are your best choices in terms of institutions and programs, both are career-focused/practical degrees and the program layouts/curriculums are cutting-edge. I don't think it would be wise to turn them down for any of the other school you applied to.

Having said that, what is your goal? Where do you wanna work? Do you want to go for Investment Banking or MBB consulting? If so, you better choose UCL as it might be the only school where you could start this kind of career (and it would still be considered a semi target).

If you are looking for something else, I believe you should just ditch Durham and Saint Andrews and focus on what really matters, the programs.
This is, in my opinion, what should determine your choice if you have a good perception of what these universities of these could offer you.

Considering that King's, UCL and Edinburgh are three excellent institutions (although UCL might be considered as the best among these 3), thus, which atmosphere and location would you prefer? Where would you think you would be the most successful? Where would you fit the most in terms of career clubs/extra-curricular? Which one has your preferred study abroad opportunities? You should think about the one where you could get the best grades and where you could where you could get involved the most. Also, keep in mind that King's and UCL have the London advantage for networking, which is non negligible.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate if you have any other questions!

Cheers
Thank you very much for you detailed and honest answer, I really appreciate that!

If I get an offer from Imperial College, I probably wouldn't be able to turn it down. However, I think it is quite likely that Imperial and LBS will reject my application, hence in the end it might be a decision between UCL and Edinburgh.

Honestly, my primary goal is to get the best education for myself at a good university not particularly ending up at the very best Investment Banking or MBB consulting companies. Since I am very interested in eventually working in the global business world, maybe South East Asia one day, international reputation would be another important criterion alongside the city and the student community.

I have already done an internship in London and the city is great. There is no preference, however, since i would love to live in Edinburgh too.

How would you consider the international reputation of KCL, UCL and the University of Edinburgh?
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KayseriJunge_96)
Thank you very much for you detailed and honest answer, I really appreciate that!

If I get an offer from Imperial College, I probably wouldn't be able to turn it down. However, I think it is quite likely that Imperial and LBS will reject my application, hence in the end it might be a decision between UCL and Edinburgh.

Honestly, my primary goal is to get the best education for myself at a good university not particularly ending up at the very best Investment Banking or MBB consulting companies. Since I am very interested in eventually working in the global business world, maybe South East Asia one day, international reputation would be another important criterion alongside the city and the student community.

I have already done an internship in London and the city is great. There is no preference, however, since i would love to live in Edinburgh too.

How would you consider the international reputation of KCL, UCL and the University of Edinburgh?
You should get offers from all universities. International students aren't guaranteed to even be able to come to UK next ysar, and uni's even top ones are scrambling to find student's atm. So i would just wait and see. I would advise you to go Imperial if you can. But i would disagree with the previous commentator about "cutting edge".. There's a certain point where rankings become irrelevant, you've reached that point in your choices. Whose 30th or 50th or 10th or 70th...won't offer you as far as course content in business anything more cutting edge then anyone else. All uni's teach about the same. Unless your going to Stanford to learn about entrepreneurship, or MIT... Possibly Harvard.... The content is about the same.

I'm German too and have just completed my undergrad (in a few weeks) at the University of Nottingham.(BWL).. And will be doing my Master in the Netherlands, as the i think UK prices for master's aren't really truly worth it. For that specific reason. But I'm already equipped with one RG degree so the mystique has worn off, i can understand you wanting one!
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 1 year ago
LoydIrving
Report 1 year ago

My pleasure! It is great that you are motivated by getting the best education and not by breaking into IB (like all the basic ppl out there).
May I just ask why exactly do you think that Imperial and LBS will reject your application? Apart from the fact that they are extremely competitive, you got into some selective masters degree too, so I think you stand a chance.

I would honestly choose UCL for prestige and international recognition (especially in South in South-East Asia), then King's, then Edinburgh, but since you are not chasing MBB, you might as well go in your preferred university as you cannot really go wrong with any of these. However, you should really dig into what each program can offer you and how you can leverage of all their resources in order to pick up the best one, and the make the best of it.

Finally, have you been invited to an interview at Imperial and LBS?

Cheers!
KayseriJunge_96
Rep:
?
My pleasure! It is great that you are motivated by getting the best education and not by breaking into IB (like all the basic ppl out there).
May I just ask why exactly do you think that Imperial and LBS will reject your application? Apart from the fact that they are extremely competitive, you got into some selective masters degree too, so I think you stand a chance.

I would honestly choose UCL for prestige and international recognition (especially in South in South-East Asia), then King's, then Edinburgh, but since you are not chasing MBB, you might as well go in your preferred university as you cannot really go wrong with any of these. However, you should really dig into what each program can offer you and how you can leverage of all their resources in order to pick up the best one, and the make the best of it.

Finally, have you been invited to an interview at Imperial and LBS?

Cheers!
Thanks for your answers, they truly help me a lot!

Yes, I have been invited to an interview at both and already completed them too.

The interview for the LBS actually went really well. Due to it being a Skype interview with an actual person, which played into my strength, I have a good felling about the interview. However, the reason I think my chances of getting in are rather slim is because of my GMAT score being way below the average GMAT for the course. I have a 650 GMAT while the average for the course is around 694. I am aware that you can still get into LBS with 650, but that means you have to truly excel at every other aspect of your application to make up for it. That's why I think there is a high possibility of getting a rejection.

Regarding the Imperial College interview, I have the feeling that i have messed that up a bit honestly. It was a video interview with a couple of questions. You had to answer into your camera with a clock running down, which really isn't my strength and resulted in some vague and less eloquent answers from me.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward quite optimistically to all the remaining answers since the offers from UCL and King's College have already given me two amazing options for my masters, hence getting rejected from the others wouldn't be that big of a deal anymore.
LoydIrving
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your answers, they truly help me a lot!

Yes, I have been invited to an interview at both and already completed them too.

The interview for the LBS actually went really well. Due to it being a Skype interview with an actual person, which played into my strength, I have a good felling about the interview. However, the reason I think my chances of getting in are rather slim is because of my GMAT score being way below the average GMAT for the course. I have a 650 GMAT while the average for the course is around 694. I am aware that you can still get into LBS with 650, but that means you have to truly excel at every other aspect of your application to make up for it. That's why I think there is a high possibility of getting a rejection.

Regarding the Imperial College interview, I have the feeling that i have messed that up a bit honestly. It was a video interview with a couple of questions. You had to answer into your camera with a clock running down, which really isn't my strength and resulted in some vague and less eloquent answers from me.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward quite optimistically to all the remaining answers since the offers from UCL and King's College have already given me two amazing options for my masters, hence getting rejected from the others wouldn't be that big of a deal anymore.
I see, keep us updated! Concerning the choices you have so far, are you leaning towards a program right now? Still Edinburgh?

Best,
Seiftoma1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I am also an applicant for the MSc Management course at UCL and the MSc IEM course at imperial. I just received a video interview invitation for the UCL program. Would you be able to tell me what type of questions they were asking for the interview.
Thank you very much in advance.
KayseriJunge_96
Rep:
?
I see, keep us updated! Concerning the choices you have so far, are you leaning towards a program right now? Still Edinburgh?

Best,
In terms of the program, I would say I am slightly leaning towards UCL. Their program seems to be more flexibel and interesting than of any other uni I have an offer from and also better than Edinburgh. Overall, the Imperial college progam seems most interesting for me.
KayseriJunge_96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seiftoma1)
Hello, I am also an applicant for the MSc Management course at UCL and the MSc IEM course at imperial. I just received a video interview invitation for the UCL program. Would you be able to tell me what type of questions they were asking for the interview.
Thank you very much in advance.
Sure, UCL is pretty straight forward about the questions they ask even before you start the interview. You will receive a link for the website and be able to watch a video made by the programme director, who will tell you the two questions you will have to answer. Basically, you can just watch the video, prepare the answers and then start the interview a couple of days later.

For Imperial College you have 5 questions. I had 4 video questions and 1 writting. The video questions were basic questions about why you, how would you deal in this particular situation and what problems are businesses facing in the future. The writting one was an email i had to write.

I guess the UCL questions are the same for anyone while the Imperial ones are different each time.

Hope that helps.
Seiftoma1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sure, UCL is pretty straight forward about the questions they ask even before you start the interview. You will receive a link for the website and be able to watch a video made by the programme director, who will tell you the two questions you will have to answer. Basically, you can just watch the video, prepare the answers and then start the interview a couple of days later.

For Imperial College you have 5 questions. I had 4 video questions and 1 writting. The video questions were basic questions about why you, how would you deal in this particular situation and what problems are businesses facing in the future. The writting one was an email i had to write.

I guess the UCL questions are the same for anyone while the Imperial ones are different each time.

Hope that helps.
thank you so much. This was very helpful. Any ideas on how long your response should be for the 2 UCL questions.
KayseriJunge_96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seiftoma1)
thank you so much. This was very helpful. Any ideas on how long your response should be for the 2 UCL questions.
I think the first question was 2 minutes and the second one was 3 minutes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.18%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.67%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.96%
I need help with my personal statement (57)
40.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed