Unsure what to do (college/sixth-form)

Watch
benj1329
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, I am 16 years old, I will be 17 in the next few months. Last year (2018/19 academic year) I was in year 11 and I did my GCSEs, my standout subjects were Spanish and French, achieving a level 9 in Spanish and a distinction in french (FCSE qualification). I loved languages so much, so much that I started afterschool french lessons during year 11, so that I would be prepared for A-levels at sixthform (the same secondary school that I went to). My mind was so set onto going to this specific sixth form that I had never thought about going elsewhere. Results day came, and I did decent overall, but I wasn't allowed to enroll to sixth form because I needed one more mark to get a 6 in RE. Anyway that is my story.
Fast forward to today, I am studying travel and tourism at college, it was the only course that I could do, I had looked at other sixth forms but some had the same entry requirements as my previous school, and some weren't offering the A-levels that I wanted to do. So I had to start travel and tourism Level 3. It is all coursework, so the assessment type was a bit different for me and it took time to adjust. The course is a bit of a grind, the work can be hard sometimes. But I feel that I don't want to have a career in this specific industry when I am older. As I had mentioned previously, I absolutely loved languages, and I could involve my linguistic capabilities if I were to have a job in travel and tourism (as a tour guide, flight attendant, anything in aviation). The truth is that I want to pursue languages again, I tried studying in my free time but I've found that difficult because I've had to prioritize my college work instead. Also, during the second year of the travel and tourism course, the topics they are teaching, I am not a fan of, and I feel like it would be a waste of time if I stayed there, feeling bored and not really motivated to do work.

I think I would like to be a teacher of spanish in the future, having demonstrated my excellent ability in my exams last year, and i continue to practice with people online. What should I do next year instead of travel and tourism? My college doesn't offer spanish as an A Level, therefore I would have to go to a sixth form to study it (a year older than everyone else, but I don't think that matters, I know some people who are a year older but are in yr12). Where can I start that would help me to progress onto being a teacher?

Sorry for the long description, I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks
Lizzibethneri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I say do what you love. Definitely study Spanish and maybe French. what other subject were you thinking of taking?
benj1329
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Lizzibethneri)
I say do what you love. Definitely study Spanish and maybe French. what other subject were you thinking of taking?
thank you, i think that's just the most important thing for me atm. I am limited to what I could do as a 3rd A level, because i chose some subjects for gcse which I didn't like at all (DT Electronics, and computer science). I am interested in geography of people, demographics, current world affairs. I guess that is something I would have to consider when I find a place to study at
Lizzibethneri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Well from that geography it maybe even sociology seems like something that would potentially work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (8)
13.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
18.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (27)
46.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (9)
15.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed