INEEDHELP.PLEASE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi guys,

So I’m in a sticky situation. For university I’m really struggling to pick my firm and there are multiple reasons for this. So I’ll start off with the universities I’m stuck between:
1. Kings College London
2. University College London
3. Oxford University (Gap year but wouldn’t matter as I didn’t apply this year so as far as firming goes not relevant but depending on grades a gap year for this could be done)

I applied to History at UCL and got an offer of AAA with a contextual offer of ABB if I had completed work which I hadn’t. I emailed the admissions office recently and had asked to switch my offer to History, Politics and Economics and now my name is in the mix but there’s no guarantees.

I applied to History and Political Economy at KCL and received and offer back of AAA. Although I would like to change to Political Economy which is what I want to do so may have to wait till summer or take a gap year for this.

As for Oxford, if I were to take a gap year I’d apply to History and Economics.

So, initially I wanted to do History and I was set on this throughout year 12 however after AS exams I realised I wanted to do Economics. This would be difficult as I didn’t do A-Level maths and wanted to stay in London. This was problematic as all uni’s in London want Maths or don’t do a BA. I prefer to do a BA as I don’t like Maths and essay writing is my strong point. So seeing this I went back to History and applied to UCAS. At the KCL open day I found out about their brand new history and political economy course and that was a no brainier- 100% wanted to do. As for the rest I applied and hoped for the best. Queen Mary gave me and interview then unconditional while I was not expecting it UCL gave me an offer too which has now put me in a predicament. I’ve always wanted to History and now Economics. I like combinations to Economics ie Politics and History as it’s what I like, find more interesting and what I’m better at.

So some of the problems are:
UCL are far superior. UCL is more likely to give me a better job and if switched to HPE or I take a gap year I get to do what I want. UCL is more rated. The HPE course gets narrowed in 2nd year ie All I do is History and econ. Don’t have to move out.
HOWEVER- The HPE course is run by the Slavic school and the whole HPE course is based off Eastern Europe and we’ll study that which is something I don’t find interesting or like.

KCL- Dont have to move out. History and political econ allows me to do both of what I want even though I’d prefer just econ. If I was allowed to switch or took a gap year and went on to get a political economy offer I’d prefer it. The political econ module set is exactly what I want to study and I love it.
HOWEVER- Seems like KCL is on the decline and isn’t rated by people.

As for Oxford I’m on course to getting A*AA (most likely), A*A*A(best case), A*A/B B( worst case). If I look at most likely which is A*AA potentially A*AB I’d be meeting or exceeding Oxford requirements (needed AAA) which is good and as I’ve already got the grades it’s a good indication to Oxford I should go there and I’ll be good there. Helps with my application. Oxfords modules are interesting and the reputation obviously is excellent.
HOWEVER- Have to move out. Average GCSE’s so unlikely to get offer.

So leaving Oxford I don’t know what to do. It’s pretty much picking what I want to study vs what’s a better uni and will have a better future. Also it’s like is KCL on the decline... have been falling, isn’t the same and less rated.

PLEASE HELP.
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Oxford with gap year = UCl this year > KCL
UCL as firm and KCL as insurance is the most realistic but UCL is superior to KCl (slightly) and is the same level as Oxford depending on your perspective.
However, the course you actually want is at KCL and while the uni isn't as good as UCL, its the course that matters.
INEEDHELP.PLEASE
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Oxford with gap year = UCl this year > KCL
UCL as firm and KCL as insurance is the most realistic but UCL is superior to KCl (slightly) and is the same level as Oxford depending on your perspective.
However, the course you actually want is at KCL and while the uni isn't as good as UCL, its the course that matters.
Thanks!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by INEEDHELP.PLEASE)
Hi guys,

So I’m in a sticky situation. For university I’m really struggling to pick my firm and there are multiple reasons for this. So I’ll start off with the universities I’m stuck between:
1. Kings College London
2. University College London
3. Oxford University (Gap year but wouldn’t matter as I didn’t apply this year so as far as firming goes not relevant but depending on grades a gap year for this could be done)

I applied to History at UCL and got an offer of AAA with a contextual offer of ABB if I had completed work which I hadn’t. I emailed the admissions office recently and had asked to switch my offer to History, Politics and Economics and now my name is in the mix but there’s no guarantees.

I applied to History and Political Economy at KCL and received and offer back of AAA. Although I would like to change to Political Economy which is what I want to do so may have to wait till summer or take a gap year for this.

As for Oxford, if I were to take a gap year I’d apply to History and Economics.

So, initially I wanted to do History and I was set on this throughout year 12 however after AS exams I realised I wanted to do Economics. This would be difficult as I didn’t do A-Level maths and wanted to stay in London. This was problematic as all uni’s in London want Maths or don’t do a BA. I prefer to do a BA as I don’t like Maths and essay writing is my strong point. So seeing this I went back to History and applied to UCAS. At the KCL open day I found out about their brand new history and political economy course and that was a no brainier- 100% wanted to do. As for the rest I applied and hoped for the best. Queen Mary gave me and interview then unconditional while I was not expecting it UCL gave me an offer too which has now put me in a predicament. I’ve always wanted to History and now Economics. I like combinations to Economics ie Politics and History as it’s what I like, find more interesting and what I’m better at.

So some of the problems are:
UCL are far superior. UCL is more likely to give me a better job and if switched to HPE or I take a gap year I get to do what I want. UCL is more rated. The HPE course gets narrowed in 2nd year ie All I do is History and econ. Don’t have to move out.
HOWEVER- The HPE course is run by the Slavic school and the whole HPE course is based off Eastern Europe and we’ll study that which is something I don’t find interesting or like.

KCL- Dont have to move out. History and political econ allows me to do both of what I want even though I’d prefer just econ. If I was allowed to switch or took a gap year and went on to get a political economy offer I’d prefer it. The political econ module set is exactly what I want to study and I love it.
HOWEVER- Seems like KCL is on the decline and isn’t rated by people.

As for Oxford I’m on course to getting A*AA (most likely), A*A*A(best case), A*A/B B( worst case). If I look at most likely which is A*AA potentially A*AB I’d be meeting or exceeding Oxford requirements (needed AAA) which is good and as I’ve already got the grades it’s a good indication to Oxford I should go there and I’ll be good there. Helps with my application. Oxfords modules are interesting and the reputation obviously is excellent.
HOWEVER- Have to move out. Average GCSE’s so unlikely to get offer.

So leaving Oxford I don’t know what to do. It’s pretty much picking what I want to study vs what’s a better uni and will have a better future. Also it’s like is KCL on the decline... have been falling, isn’t the same and less rated.

PLEASE HELP.
Not that much of a difference between UCL and Kings - seeing as Kings have your dream course and UCL do not, I would Firm Kings. If you ended up getting A*AA, at that point you could consider taking a Year out and applying to Oxford, but let me warn you that they would probably not consider A*AB equivalent to AAA . Most top unis are very strict about people meeting their exact entry requirements not meeting them only in terms of equivalent UCAS points. Also, Oxford are very unlikely to accept someone with average GCSEs and as you say yourself, you don't even want to move out of London.

You won't be able to do Economics at a top London uni without A level Maths so I think you are confusing yourself with the idea that you would like Economics at uni whereas in fact it would be highly mathematical in content.
INEEDHELP.PLEASE
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Not that much of a difference between UCL and Kings - seeing as Kings have your dream course and UCL do not, I would Firm Kings. If you ended up getting A*AA, at that point you could consider taking a Year out and applying to Oxford, but let me warn you that they would probably not consider A*AB equivalent to AAA . Most top unis are very strict about people meeting their exact entry requirements not meeting them
only in terms of equivalent UCAS points. Also, Oxford are very unlikely to accept someone with average GCSEs and as you say yourself, you don't even want to move out of London.

You won't be able to do Economics at a top London uni without A level Maths so I think you are confusing yourself with the idea that you would like Economics at uni whereas in fact it would be highly mathematical in content.
Thanks. If I do get A*AB then I wouldn’t consider Oxford as I know how strict they are which is why if I got A*AA I’d hope they’d at least cover for my GCSEs. I’ve heard people get in with average ones because their performance at A-Level was so strong then admissions tests etc were good. Moving out of London wouldn’t be much of an issue as it is Oxford and so would be ridiculous to turn it down for that but overall I don’t think I’d get in. Really wish I could go back and work harder for my GCSEs cause back then I didn’t make much of it which is annoying

As for UCL and KCL, when I think of the likelihood of getting a job and what people say, UCL seems far more prestigious thus meaning I’m more likely to get a better job which is why it’s hard. UCL does do History and Econ which is a win but then the modules are less interesting.

Finally for Econ, I wouldn’t want to do it pure because of the Maths, I think I’d prefer it combined with something for go along Political Economy which is what KCL do or something like Land Economy like Cambridge although I’ve heard that can be quite mathsy. As I haven’t done A-Level maths, UCL make it mandatory that I do a compulsory maths module to get to grips with Econ which I think is good but most other uni’s don’t which also is a huge win so I feel like I just keep going round in circles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads