ally.l
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Can anyone who’s done media studies in a levels tell me how’s it like? What is the coursework and exams like? Did you find it easy or hard? I’m asking this because I’m considering to to try it out as well and want to know more about the subject from the ones who’ve studied it. (Although I know a lot of people think it’s useless and not respected, I still want to try it out as I find it interesting. I don’t want to take a subject which others think is ‘respected’ but really hard for me. I just want to take the subjects which I enjoy and will be able to do well in).
Last edited by ally.l; 5 months ago
Safah20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi,
I have just finished my a level media and I absolutely loved it out of all my subjects. The coursework content allows you to explore many styles and you can create many things. I ended up making a magazine and a advertisement campaign on feminism. One thing that’s so important with media studies is that it focuses on current and new trends and discusses the impact and the influence media has on our society. You will probably end up studying the history of feminism through advertising and how male and females are represented throughout history. In my a level we looked at propaganda and how media was used to influence the public and how easily influenced the public are. With media you will end up studying all types of platforms from video games, newspapers, online blogs, magazines, tv shows, music videos, advertisements and more. It is such an enriching subject and you learn so much more than more “academic subjects” in my opinion. You gain a new perspective on society and current/old events and it’s a shame that more people don’t embrace and take this subject.
I hope this helped xx
ally.l
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Safah20)
Hi,
I have just finished my a level media and I absolutely loved it out of all my subjects. The coursework content allows you to explore many styles and you can create many things. I ended up making a magazine and a advertisement campaign on feminism. One thing that’s so important with media studies is that it focuses on current and new trends and discusses the impact and the influence media has on our society. You will probably end up studying the history of feminism through advertising and how male and females are represented throughout history. In my a level we looked at propaganda and how media was used to influence the public and how easily influenced the public are. With media you will end up studying all types of platforms from video games, newspapers, online blogs, magazines, tv shows, music videos, advertisements and more. It is such an enriching subject and you learn so much more than more “academic subjects” in my opinion. You gain a new perspective on society and current/old events and it’s a shame that more people don’t embrace and take this subject.
I hope this helped xx
That was so helpful! It all sounds so interesting, I’m definitely trying the subject out! Thank u so much!! ❤️
ChloexAdele
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hiya! I'm currently in year 12 studying Media, Sociology and BTEC Business. Media is by far my favourite subject and has influenced my decision to study Communications and Media at uni! You learn all about the media language, audience, representation and industry of your set texts across a range of platforms with a coursework section I'm currently preparing for: creating a gaming magazine! It's an extremely creative course where you can express yourself through what you produce and even your own opinions- there's no wrong answers as long as you can support your points! I definitely recommend media, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads