Alkerr82
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
It’s great so much helpful advice on this forum so I am hoping that someone will be able to help me out. I have decided to apply for my PGCE beginning in September 2021. My degree is in history and I also have a masters in Museum Studies.I would ideally like to teach Primary level and I know that both Stranmillis and Ulster University offer primary PGCE.

My questions are :

When do applications open for 2021?
Does the University Organise school placement or does the student organise them?
Do you require a specific early years degree for the Early year Stranmillis PGCE? Also, does it qualify you to work at KS2 ?

I have a family of 4 kids so trying to work out dynamics of travelling to and from Coleraine during the teaching part as it’s a 2hour drive. Hoping placement could be a little closer to

Thanks for any help you can give!
CalculatorFX83
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Alkerr82)
It’s great so much helpful advice on this forum so I am hoping that someone will be able to help me out. I have decided to apply for my PGCE beginning in September 2021. My degree is in history and I also have a masters in Museum Studies.I would ideally like to teach Primary level and I know that both Stranmillis and Ulster University offer primary PGCE.

My questions are :

When do applications open for 2021?
Does the University Organise school placement or does the student organise them?
Do you require a specific early years degree for the Early year Stranmillis PGCE? Also, does it qualify you to work at KS2 ?

I have a family of 4 kids so trying to work out dynamics of travelling to and from Coleraine during the teaching part as it’s a 2hour drive. Hoping placement could be a little closer to

Thanks for any help you can give!
Greetings Alkerr82,

First of all, it is great that you have a degree in History and a Masters in Museum Studies. In addition, it is also great that you have a genuine interest of teaching at Primary Level. Please allow me to answer all of your questions.

Q1. When do applications open for 2021?
Q1A. For PGCE Primary Education at Ulster University Coleraine, the applications are now open for the academic year of 2021-22 and the closing date is 15th November 2020. As for PGCE Early Years at Stranmillis University College (Belfast), the applications for the academic year of 2021-22 are not open just yet. If you want, you may want to contact the institution for more information.

Q2. Does the university organise school placement or does the student organise them?
Q2A. First of all, you should be aware that all applicants applying for PGCE courses (whether it is Early Years or Primary), must go through a selection process. They may be asked to do a 5-minute storytelling, 30-minute exam on Maths and English, a 10-minute formal interview (mandatory for all applicants) etc. If you have some experience (at least 3 weeks) working in a primary school before applying for your PGCE course, it would put you in a good position for the selection process. I understand that not all applicants will have that opportunity and so, you could gain some experience in many different ways such as reading books and articles about primary school education, working as a teaching assistant in a primary school for a couple of weeks or months, taking up some online courses (Leadership, Classroom Management, Behavior Management, Storytelling, Observation, Assessment) and maybe taking some night classes at a college to improve your English, Maths and IT skills. If you are able to secure a school placement before the start of your PGCE course, that is great! However, if that is not the case, the university may be able to advise you on what to do next and it may take a while to find your school placement. Since you have a driving licence and a car to drive around Northern Ireland, it will give you a competitive edge in terms of finding a school placement for your PGCE course.

Q3. Do you require a specific Early Years degree for PGCE Early Years at Stranmillis? Also, does it qualify you to work at KS2?
Q3A. The entry requirements for PGCE Early Years at Stranmillis states that you should have at least a 2:1 (Upper second class honours) degree in the area of Early Years or a degree with significant Early Years content. Unfortunately, it does not qualify you to work at KS2 and you are restricted to working with children that are aged around 3-8. I assume that you are looking to become a primary school teacher in the future. If that is the case, I would advise you to apply for PGCE Primary Education at Ulster University Coleraine.

I really hope that I have answered all of your questions.
Alkerr82
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I am hoping to start my application soon and have it well in advance of the deadline.

I have a lot of classroom experience working as an education officer for 15 years in various museums, working within local schools and developing funded programs. I will be looking to secure a teaching placement before I start as a bonus before I start.

I was thinking more of the 6 week placements during the course, not sure if I can organise one local to me or I just get luck of the draw but I’m sure it will work out!

Thanks for your reply!
CalculatorFX83
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Alkerr82)
Hi,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I am hoping to start my application soon and have it well in advance of the deadline.

I have a lot of classroom experience working as an education officer for 15 years in various museums, working within local schools and developing funded programs. I will be looking to secure a teaching placement before I start as a bonus before I start.

I was thinking more of the 6 week placements during the course, not sure if I can organise one local to me or I just get luck of the draw but I’m sure it will work out!

Thanks for your reply!
Greetings Alkerr82,

I'm very glad that my post in the forum has helped you. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

I wish you all the best in the future!
zara1445
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CalculatorFX83)
Greetings Alkerr82,

First of all, it is great that you have a degree in History and a Masters in Museum Studies. In addition, it is also great that you have a genuine interest of teaching at Primary Level. Please allow me to answer all of your questions.

Q1. When do applications open for 2021?
Q1A. For PGCE Primary Education at Ulster University Coleraine, the applications are now open for the academic year of 2021-22 and the closing date is 15th November 2020. As for PGCE Early Years at Stranmillis University College (Belfast), the applications for the academic year of 2021-22 are not open just yet. If you want, you may want to contact the institution for more information.

Q2. Does the university organise school placement or does the student organise them?
Q2A. First of all, you should be aware that all applicants applying for PGCE courses (whether it is Early Years or Primary), must go through a selection process. They may be asked to do a 5-minute storytelling, 30-minute exam on Maths and English, a 10-minute formal interview (mandatory for all applicants) etc. If you have some experience (at least 3 weeks) working in a primary school before applying for your PGCE course, it would put you in a good position for the selection process. I understand that not all applicants will have that opportunity and so, you could gain some experience in many different ways such as reading books and articles about primary school education, working as a teaching assistant in a primary school for a couple of weeks or months, taking up some online courses (Leadership, Classroom Management, Behavior Management, Storytelling, Observation, Assessment) and maybe taking some night classes at a college to improve your English, Maths and IT skills. If you are able to secure a school placement before the start of your PGCE course, that is great! However, if that is not the case, the university may be able to advise you on what to do next and it may take a while to find your school placement. Since you have a driving licence and a car to drive around Northern Ireland, it will give you a competitive edge in terms of finding a school placement for your PGCE course.

Q3. Do you require a specific Early Years degree for PGCE Early Years at Stranmillis? Also, does it qualify you to work at KS2?
Q3A. The entry requirements for PGCE Early Years at Stranmillis states that you should have at least a 2:1 (Upper second class honours) degree in the area of Early Years or a degree with significant Early Years content. Unfortunately, it does not qualify you to work at KS2 and you are restricted to working with children that are aged around 3-8. I assume that you are looking to become a primary school teacher in the future. If that is the case, I would advise you to apply for PGCE Primary Education at Ulster University Coleraine.

I really hope that I have answered all of your questions.
Hi, this was a fantastic help!

Could you provide some more information on the storytelling part of the selection process? I.e. use of props etc?

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (814)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.68%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads