hss_1212
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all, I am currently doing a level 3 NVQ alongside a BTEC for my apprenticeship, and I have been having a lot of trouble with writing the portfolio's for my NVQ. I have been doing the NVQ for more than a year now and it will finish next year, only problem is that I haven't actually done any work for it (I know, really lazy). I've had no motivation for the NVQ side at all, although the BTEC is going well (which is in electrical engineering).

I have a fear that I will fail the NVQ, but at the same time I just don't want to do it.

I feel quite guilty for asking about this and even considering letting this happen, but what are the implications for my apprenticeship if I was to not complete my portfolio work for the NVQ? Does anyone have experience of doing this or know of someone who has been in this situation?
JohnB1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi there. As the NVQ does form part of the apprenticeship, then you cannot complete the apprenticeship without completing the NVQ. I know that the NVQ portfolio is very time consuming to complete, and often feels like you are just doing it for the sake of it and that it doesn’t add any value.

I guess it depends what is important to you - is the BTEC enough to help in your career, or would the apprenticeship add more weight to any job applications?
hss_1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohnB1)
Hi there. As the NVQ does form part of the apprenticeship, then you cannot complete the apprenticeship without completing the NVQ. I know that the NVQ portfolio is very time consuming to complete, and often feels like you are just doing it for the sake of it and that it doesn’t add any value.

I guess it depends what is important to you - is the BTEC enough to help in your career, or would the apprenticeship add more weight to any job applications?
Hi, thanks for your reply, I don't believe that the NVQ would even help much with my career, I know that the production manager (who happens to be one of my main supervisors) didnt complete his NVQ, my main worry is the fact that it will have major detriment to my job in the sense that they will get rid of me if I dont complete it
hss_1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by hss_1212)
Hi, thanks for your reply, I don't believe that the NVQ would even help much with my career, I know that the production manager (who happens to be one of my main supervisors) didnt complete his NVor Q, my main worry is the fact that it will have major detriment to my job in the sense that they will get rid of me if I dont complete it
Or rather, I dont know if it will
JohnB1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, thanks for your reply, I don't believe that the NVQ would even help much with my career, I know that the production manager (who happens to be one of my main supervisors) didnt complete his NVQ, my main worry is the fact that it will have major detriment to my job in the sense that they will get rid of me if I dont complete it
Have a chat with your supervisor at work. Your employer has been funding your study (I hope?) at 20% of your working week, and so they probably expect you to be completing your portfolio during this time. I guess this has also been used for your BTEC though. Once you are no longer an apprentice they will also have to pay you at the minimum wage, which although wrong, may be a reason they’d be keen for you to stay on your apprenticeship.
hss_1212
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohnB1)
Have a chat with your supervisor at work. Your employer has been funding your study (I hope?) at 20% of your working week, and so they probably expect you to be completing your portfolio during this time. I guess this has also been used for your BTEC though. Once you are no longer an apprentice they will also have to pay you at the minimum wage, which although wrong, may be a reason they’d be keen for you to stay on your apprenticeship.
Would you say that a year is long enough to finish all the portfolios?
JohnB1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Would you say that a year is long enough to finish all the portfolios?
As long as you can gather any supporting evidence then you should be ok. It does take quite a bit of work, so as long as you can dedicate the time and have the support of your NVQ assessor then you should still be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (10)
17.86%
No one else does (21)
37.5%
I'm embarrassed about my background (7)
12.5%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (14)
25%
We don't use a video platform (2)
3.57%
I don't have a camera (1)
1.79%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.79%

Watched Threads