Will biomedical science or medicine be a better option in the midst of this pandemic?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have 5 offers, 4 medicine and 1 for biomedical science at Warwick.
Biology has always been my favourite subject and also interacting with people has been enjoyable.
I haven't firmed any uni now but now that I can decide I am rethinking my options.
Seeing how stressful it can be for healthcare workers now (both in terms of work and family life) makes me think that is medicine actually worth it? Work- we all know this. a doctors job is stressful. But I think I have good time management skills so was planning on using my time back home from work to relax and de stress.
But now thinking long term, judging by how much panic this virus has created I'm worried this will affect my family life (I have heard of nurses not being able to see their loved ones; they can't have a normal family life in the midst of this turmoil and have to see so many people dying).

How's Biomedical science? I have started pre reading a physiology textbook and I find it quite similar to a level biology tbh. I am sure I will be able to enjoy the academic content of both medicine and biomedical science.

How are the graduate prospects of a biomedical science degree? I was thinking that with a Biomedical science degree I will be fully trained at 25 compared to fully trained at 35 as a doctor. Alongside this, and probably more importantly so, I am not sure how safe these patient facing jobs will be.
wilson fafa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
yes , because you have aims to archeive
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m a biomedical student from Warwick.
To answer your question:
Biomedical science is the basis of the science found in medicine. It involves studying the science of healthcare such as vaccines, medicine and how it affects the body.
Depending in what area you go in, that's pretty possible. You can go into research and be fully trained before 30.
It's competitive and does require planning ahead of the time but it's rewarding and i’m sure with a thought out plan, you’ll enjoy the degree
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by TheStarboy)
I’m a biomedical student from Warwick.
To answer your question:
Biomedical science is the basis of the science found in medicine. It involves studying the science of healthcare such as vaccines, medicine and how it affects the body.
Depending in what area you go in, that's pretty possible. You can go into research and be fully trained before 30.
It's competitive and does require planning ahead of the time but it's rewarding and i’m sure with a thought out plan, you’ll enjoy the degree
Can you give me a run through of what graduates usually do after a 3yr Biomed degree? Do you do a masters in an area you are interested in? And are all job opportunities research oriented?
wilson fafa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
there's nothing good or bad, thinking make it so 😗😗😗😗
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Can you give me a run through of what graduates usually do after a 3yr Biomed degree? Do you do a masters in an area you are interested in? And are all job opportunities research oriented?
They usually either go into further study, go into research, become biomedical scientists, go into graduate entry medicine or dentistry etc
I’m only in second year but you can do a masters in the area you are interested in.
Not all of them are but some are research-oriented.
Last edited by TheStarboy; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (132)
14.78%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise