Pendragons
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Is there a better degree to do to get into archaeology, is one more respected? Or is it just which I prefer, with the specific modules covered in each
Thanks
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Pendragons)
Is there a better degree to do to get into archaeology, is one more respected? Or is it just which I prefer, with the specific modules covered in each
Thanks
Depending on the university, there's a lot of overlap. From a purely personal perspective, my more successful friends did the BSc, but they've gone into quite specific roles, and there doesn't seem to be any harm at all from doing a BA. There's also usually a chance to switch between them. It all depends on which modules you prefer.
oliviamkc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pendragons)
Thanks
This is super late and you’ve probably either applied for one or the other.

However, no not really.
It really depends on the university & what you want to focus on. I did the BSc and there are more compulsory modules ie. Stats & “arch science” modules, but other than that and the requisite that you do a data driven dissertation eg. stats or lab based dissertation not really.

some unis for BSc ask for a “science” A-level and some unis entry requirements are higher for the BSc - Altho this differs at each university, so isn’t a set rule. Although, with any degree if you can’t decide look at what modules you have to take between the two degrees & compare them at different unis. As archaeology degrees, vary widely at unis. ie. Southampton - maritime. Exeter - experimental. reading - romans.

But, generally content doesn’t really differ and doing a BA still means you can do all the science modules you want (generally) Altho, comp / core modules may mean you have less freedom to chose (either way).

tdlr: no not really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (35)
21.6%
No (127)
78.4%

Watched Threads