username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
What are the differences in teacher training in England and Scotland? If you train in England, can you teach in Scotland? If you train in Scotland, can you teach in England?
username4867806
Rep:
?
Bump.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
What are the differences in teacher training in England and Scotland? If you train in England, can you teach in Scotland? If you train in Scotland, can you teach in England?
Hello Treetop321

Yes, beginner teachers who train in one part of the UK, may go on and teach elsewhere. (There are forms to fill in to validate your Teacher Registration number in some cases.)

However, Scotland does not use the GCSE examination scheme that England, Wales and N. Ireland does, and so having experience of the Scottish higher's system, would offer an advantage when applying to teach there. There are also differences in terms of the Qualifications you'd gain on a teacher training course. For example, Scotland offers a Post Graduate Diploma in Education as part of their teacher training course, which is infrequent elsewhere in the UK.

Further, there are differences in regards to the funding levels and payment of tuition fees, related to which part of the UK that you do your training.

Guidance on learning to teach in the different parts of the UK, can be found here - Teach in Scotland, Get into Teaching in England, Discover Teaching in Wales and Getting into Teaching in Northern Ireland.

All the best, Jane
username4867806
Rep:
?
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hello Treetop321

Yes, beginner teachers who train in one part of the UK, may go on and teach elsewhere. (There are forms to fill in to validate your Teacher Registration number in some cases.)

However, Scotland does not use the GCSE examination scheme that England, Wales and N. Ireland does, and so having experience of the Scottish higher's system, would offer an advantage when applying to teach there. There are also differences in terms of the Qualifications you'd gain on a teacher training course. For example, Scotland offers a Post Graduate Diploma in Education as part of their teacher training course, which is infrequent elsewhere in the UK.

Further, there are differences in regards to the funding levels and payment of tuition fees, related to which part of the UK that you do your training.

Guidance on learning to teach in the different parts of the UK, can be found here - Teach in Scotland, Get into Teaching in England, Discover Teaching in Wales and Getting into Teaching in Northern Ireland.

All the best, Jane
Thank you for your help

Is it relatively easy to go to Scotland after being qualified in England? Is it just some forms or is there more to it?
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
Thank you for your help

Is it relatively easy to go to Scotland after being qualified in England? Is it just some forms or is there more to it?
Hi Treetop321

In theory, it's a relatively simple procedure, but I think in practice preference will always go to a candidate that have a proven track record with a specific Key Stage or exam board, and so gaining employment in the same country as you trained would always be easier. It's always going to be dependant of the need of the school in which you are applying, the subject and age range you teach and the ethos of the school. (For example, both Scotland and England consider STEM subjects a priority and would consider those who trained elsewhere to be suitable candidates.)

I have worked with a lot of people in England (in Bristol) who did their training in Wales, but teachers in Wales seem to move schools more infrequently than those in English cities, and so fewer vacancies are advertised. I'm not sure, but think it maybe similar in rural areas of Scotland.

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (505)
33.69%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (621)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (305)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.54%

Watched Threads