Struggling choosing Dissertation Topic

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have to choose a dissertation topic soon. The ones I wanted to have all been picked by other students so I am left with ones which I am not entirely interested in. There is one topic which I feel that I can complete and am slightly interested in, however it is very difficult and takes up a lot of time. And to add to that I would have to do 50 - 80 hours of lab work. I am not sure if it is worth it to do a hard dissertation, or if I should just choose an easy one which I am not interested in at all.
SweetSummerx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have to choose a dissertation topic soon. The ones I wanted to have all been picked by other students so I am left with ones which I am not entirely interested in. There is one topic which I feel that I can complete and am slightly interested in, however it is very difficult and takes up a lot of time. And to add to that I would have to do 50 - 80 hours of lab work. I am not sure if it is worth it to do a hard dissertation, or if I should just choose an easy one which I am not interested in at all.
Dissertations require commitment so don't pick ones you are not interested in as you will struggle to motivate yourself to write it. If you are worried about time management but think you would enjoy the topic more then that is more manageable through good planning. Maybe have a chat to the supervisor to get more information or if you have a topic in mind perhaps present that idea to a suitable supervisor to see if they are interested
bits.of.bio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It depends on what you want to do after, if you want to go into a lab job surely you would be best off doing a dissertation with lab time so you can gain skills to put on your cv.
I personally spent probably around 70 hours in the lab for my dissertation project and it's not that bad, you just organise it around the rest of your life when possible.
At the end of the day dissertations don't have to be something you're madly passionate about as long as you can write about it in a clear way.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey!

As someone who is currently writing their dissertation, my biggest tip is to choose a subject you are at least interested in. I have definitely felt unmotivated and fed up during certain points of researching and writing, and I am extremely interested in my topic! I can't even imagine what I would be like if I had chosen a topic that I wasn't interested in :eek:

Courtney - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey!

As someone who is currently writing their dissertation, my biggest tip is to choose a subject you are at least interested in. I have definitely felt unmotivated and fed up during certain points of researching and writing, and I am extremely interested in my topic! I can't even imagine what I would be like if I had chosen a topic that I wasn't interested in :eek:

Ah okay thanks. Yeah I have just confirmed my topic with my supervisor. I am actually interested in the topic, but I can tell it will be difficult and he said it mostly depends on my self motivation to finish this. Praying everything will be okay in my third year!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ah okay thanks. Yeah I have just confirmed my topic with my supervisor. I am actually interested in the topic, but I can tell it will be difficult and he said it mostly depends on my self motivation to finish this. Praying everything will be okay in my third year!
Oooh, exciting! It will take a lot of self-motivation and discipline for sure, try to get the best headstart as you possibly can. Unfortunately, I didn't really focus on my dissertation until January and I highly regret it!

Good luck with everything!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.47%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.51%

Watched Threads