The Student Room Group

MSC maintenance loan lower than advised

Hi SFE. Thank you in advance with your help with this.

I am starting an MSc in Speech and Language Sciences at UCL in September. This is an Allied Health exception degree, so even though it is postgraduate and I have a degree already, I am applying through undergraduate SF.

When I contacted SFE earlier this year, I was advised that I am eligible for up to £11,000. This has been replicated when I used the SFE calculator too.

I am single, living in London, do not live with parents, and have a low income. Actually, at the time I enquired, I had a low income. I am currently unemployed.

I was advised that these factors contribute to me receiving the maximum loan.

However, I am currently in the process of applying. Having entered my details, I am now at the following screen:

Do you want to apply for a Maintenance Loan?
Maintenance Loan

up to £5,981

Could you please advise on why this amount is so much lower than I was previously informed?
Original post by Salt1991
Hi SFE. Thank you in advance with your help with this.

I am starting an MSc in Speech and Language Sciences at UCL in September. This is an Allied Health exception degree, so even though it is postgraduate and I have a degree already, I am applying through undergraduate SF.

When I contacted SFE earlier this year, I was advised that I am eligible for up to £11,000. This has been replicated when I used the SFE calculator too.

I am single, living in London, do not live with parents, and have a low income. Actually, at the time I enquired, I had a low income. I am currently unemployed.

I was advised that these factors contribute to me receiving the maximum loan.

However, I am currently in the process of applying. Having entered my details, I am now at the following screen:

Do you want to apply for a Maintenance Loan?
Maintenance Loan

up to £5,981

Could you please advise on why this amount is so much lower than I was previously informed?

Good morning, it's showing you the basic loan. The higher rate of funding will be assessed afterwards if you are over the age of 25 or applied as independent. You should submit the application and wait to be assessed.
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 2
Apologies, I have actually re-done the calculator on gov.co.uk, and it says I would be entitled to £12,010 based on my circumstances
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Isaac
Good morning, it's showing you the basic loan. The higher rate of funding will be assessed afterwards if you are over the age of 25 or applied as independent. You should submit the application and wait to be assessed.
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi Isaac. I am over 25, so I will continue with the application. Thanks for your quick reply and have a great day!
Hi Isaac. I am over 25, so I will continue with the application. Thanks for your quick reply and have a great day!

You're welcome. If it still shows the basic amount after your application shows as approved online then it means you might have only applied for the basic funding, if that happens then send us a private message on Twitter or Facebook and provide your name & CRN.
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 5
Original post by SFE Isaac
You're welcome. If it still shows the basic amount after your application shows as approved online then it means you might have only applied for the basic funding, if that happens then send us a private message on Twitter or Facebook and provide your name & CRN.
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi Isaac, I submitted my application and the amount was quoted at 8,000. I have puzzling over this and I just remembered there was a box which said something like I am from a low income and struggle to buy every day items - I don’t think I clicked it. I’ve gone into my account and it doesn’t look like these are one of the things I can change retrospectively. Could you please advise? I do not use twitter or Facebook, is there an email address I can contact?
Thanks for your support with this!
Hi Isaac, I submitted my application and the amount was quoted at 8,000. I have puzzling over this and I just remembered there was a box which said something like I am from a low income and struggle to buy every day items - I don’t think I clicked it. I’ve gone into my account and it doesn’t look like these are one of the things I can change retrospectively. Could you please advise? I do not use twitter or Facebook, is there an email address I can contact?
Thanks for your support with this!

I'd advise waiting until you are assessed, so it shows approved. If you don't have Twitter or Facebook then you can call us, however we only ask students to call for urgent queries not for 20/21 queries as these are not urgent, so if you do want to call then I advise waiting until our service is back to normal.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending