Titch1781
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I’ve chosen to do politics at A level. I was thinking about subscribing to a daily Newspaper so I’m caught up on the daily politics. What would be the best newspaper to do that?
Joe1000000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't just read one. Read multiple from different perspectives to get a broader view.
Young_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've found that the ones you pay for are the best. You have to pay for them usually to get the premium of great quality analysis, which is what you need. Lots of newspapers lack that. I used the Spectator throughout most of my politics course, then switched to the Telegraph near the end as it was a bit cheaper. Both have great analysis of current events.
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I tend to read the Daily Telegraph, and the Daily Mail, both seem to cover politics, pretty well.
Aye5ha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I read the Guardian, BBC and the Telegraph. I think it’s best to read from a range of news outlets as each has their own politics bias. For US politics which was a part of my syllabus, I read the New York Times.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Titch1781)
Hi I’ve chosen to do politics at A level. I was thinking about subscribing to a daily Newspaper so I’m caught up on the daily politics. What would be the best newspaper to do that?
Telegraph, Times and Guardian to give you all 3 sides. Also publications like The Atlantic, Spiked, The Spectator and New Statesman are very good
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Karisa96)
I tend to read the Daily Telegraph, and the Daily Mail, both seem to cover politics, pretty well.
But only from one angle.
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Eww Daily Mail
username5027880
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Eww Daily Mail
Are you all ganging up on me today?
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only with this issue yes
RiaWombat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For a more global perspective I’ve found the New York Times daily briefing newsletter good, though it’s mostly corona stuff atm, The Waugh Report News letter from the Huffington Post is also good, it analyses the day in British politics basically. I hope you enjoy politics! I’ve just finish my first year of it and adore it, I want to do it at uni.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not at all, but reading just the Mail and Telegraph is worse than useless for a politics student.
Alesha1991
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it's probably best to read a range of sources and get a more balanced view. I get a lot of my news from the Guardian and I find it more in line with my own views but I think it's good to look at other perspectives and question/ challenge some of my own assumptions so sometimes I'll read articles from the Telegraph or Spectator. The Atlantic has some good, in depth coverage of various issues as well.
username5027880
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Not at all, but reading just the Mail and Telegraph is worse than useless for a politics student.
Fair point.
plushyjames
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The best newspaper/magazine is one that you should disagree with, but make sure the quality is still good (so no Daily Star or Sunday Mirror). You should have a decent grasp on politics and what's going on in the world without needing a newspaper, so if you're using one as a student (especially for politics) you need something to challenge your own views.

If you're left leaning The Telegraph, The Times or The Spectator are good choices. If right leaning, then something like The Guardian is good. If you're undecided etc., then reading a mixture of both is good - I recommend using Twitter to follow various accounts of newspapers and journalists to give you different perspectives.
username2447915
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I use The Guardian/Telegraph for basics but also read the Spectator, New York Times, Financial Times, The Economist and Foreign Affairs Magazine for more diplomatic issues. Like others said different sources will have different views, it's very helpful to familiarise yourself with each one as that will help you challenge your ideas.

I would 100% recommend Twitter as it will be free and will give you access to not only a lot of articles but also people's views on those
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Titch1781)
As practically everyone else has said, you need a variety of viewpoints, from across the spectrum in order to have balanced coverage. Most of the UK press is right wing, so you need to carefully balance that with something like the Guardian or the i Newspaper, which are left-leaning. The FT gives an excellent, relatively neutral political comment, followed by The Times. The Torygraph is far too biased to be considered a reliable source, and things like the Mail and Express are just a joke in terms of neutrality or objectivity - but useful for a politics student to see how things are covered.
Young_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think so, at least for the Telegraph. Subscribed to it for most of 2nd year and it provided great analysis and opinion articles along with news on current affairs. It covers everything, including US politics. It's a great site.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Young_)
I don't think so, at least for the Telegraph. Subscribed to it for most of 2nd year and it provided great analysis and opinion articles along with news on current affairs. It covers everything, including US politics. It's a great site.
The key word is "just". Only very poor politics students would restrict themselves to reading newspapers from one political viewpoint.
Young_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The key word is "just". Only very poor politics students would restrict themselves to reading newspapers from one political viewpoint.
Ah. Fair enough. Didn't see that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads