The Student Room Group

A-levels and Oxbridge

They say you only need 3 A-levels that meet the entry requirements, so why does everyone on here seem to have 5 A*s at A-level, and if you don't, does this put you at a disadvantage?
Original post by Anonymous
They say you only need 3 A-levels that meet the entry requirements, so why does everyone on here seem to have 5 A*s at A-level, and if you don't, does this put you at a disadvantage?

Haven't you asked this already?

Most people don't have '5 A*'. In fact, very few people have even 3 A*, let alone 5. You have to remember it's TSR. Showing off, exaggeration and one-upmanship is the name of the game, when TSR discusses A levels. In other words, it's not true... :smile:

People with 4+ A levels have no advantage over those with 3 for 99.99% of courses.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Haven't you asked this already?

Most people don't have '5 A*'. In fact, very few people have even 3 A*, let alone 5. You have to remember it's TSR. Showing off, exaggeration and one-upmanship is the name of the game, when TSR discusses A levels. In other words, it's not true... :smile:

People with 4+ A levels have no advantage over those with 3 for 99.99% of courses.

No, I haven't but I should have looked to see if this question had already been asked!

And thanks, that's definitely reassuring!
Original post by Anonymous
No, I haven't but I should have looked to see if this question had already been asked!

And thanks, that's definitely reassuring!

No problem, and it must be a coincidence then, because someone asked this just this very morning :smile:

Yes, please don't worry yourself about this. It's unfortunately the most toxic element of TSR: hot-housed kids showing off to each other about how their academic qualifications are superior (and more often than not just making stuff up). In reality, if you can get A*A*A or even A*AA you're going to be in with a shout to the overwhelming majority of courses and universities.
I think there's quite a few Oxbridge students who do 4 but I don't think there's added value directly and in most cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending