LoisB*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all,

Is there a proofreading service available via student room for Personal Statement? I am worried about forwarding mine to a professional company for obvious reasons.

Any direction would be so appreciated.

Thank you
Roasted Potato
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just google companies, review them first. They will probably ask you to pay and if it requires a high amount of editing then you will pay more. Use stuff like grammarly, parents, friends and teacher to read it first and ensure that it is relevant and you will probably be fine without having to use a service tbh
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You can send it to me in private, if you're self-conscious of putting it on the forum here.

I'm not, like a member of a team or anything. I just like helping out occasionally when I think I can. I think I'm pretty good with personal statements. Much less with interviews though.

My gripe with 'paid services' of any sort like this, in any context really, is that they are very formulaic. It is a personal statement after all. If you hand it over to someone else to do for money, who are a business, they are most likely going to just trot something out according to a standard template of theirs, with no creative flair whatsoever. After all, they don't know you, and for £20 / hour, and limited time, they are not going to get to know you better.

My opinion on what a 'great' personal statement is, it should cover two main topics:
a) your past - experiences, lessons learned, and choices you made and why you made them
b) your future - your aspirations, drawn from your past experiences, and how these motivate you

A third topic not to neglect:
c) How this 'matches' with the university's, or employer's values, or their priorities. What you have in common with them. Try to see what they want, through their eyes, and explain how you are a good match.

You shouldn't worry about other people copying your personal statement, because if it is truly personal, then they won't be able to copy it anyway. Your experiences should be unique.
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 8 months ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by LoisB*)
Hi all,

Is there a proofreading service available via student room for Personal Statement? I am worried about forwarding mine to a professional company for obvious reasons.

Any direction would be so appreciated.

Thank you
Look at the sticky at the top of this forum. It explains how the (free) TSR service works. Please don’t post your PS in a public area of the site or send it to anyone by DM (you don’t know if anyone asking for your PS can be trusted). The only place to post PSs is the submitted ps reviews forum where it can only be seen by reviewers.

If anyone wants to join the PS review team on TSR they have to prove that they’re a university student and go through our mentoring scheme to demonstrate that they understand how to improve PSs.
LoisB*
Rep:
?
Hi PQ,

Thank you SO much for the fast responce. I don't see which sticky you mean, sorry!

Lois
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi PQ,

Thank you SO much for the fast responce. I don't see which sticky you mean, sorry!

Lois
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...lay.php?f=1372 you can submit your ps here
LoisB*
Rep:
?
Thank you very much.
Kind regards,
Lois
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you very much.
Kind regards,
Lois
DO NOT send it to anyone on this thread
cocolemon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
DO NOT send it to anyone on this thread
Why would this be an issue?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by cocolemon)
Because there is a free service offered by this website with people who are checked.

Presumably you have permission to advertise?
Thecrazydoughnut
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by cocolemon)
You’re going against TSR terms and conditions.
cocolemon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Thecrazydoughnut)
You’re going against TSR terms and conditions.
Ah sucks, will delete my posts probably then. I really need advice on where I could get a proofreading job, there’s absolutely nowhere!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (420)
56.68%
I don't have everything I need (321)
43.32%

Watched Threads