Is it harmful to have an entrepreneurial background for a corporate job?

Watch
juanmendez
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am a first year student and currently working on an online store idea, I would be the owner of this company. However, I am interested in working in the financial industry (Investment banking) or another big corporate business. I was wondering if it can be seen as a negative for an employer the fact of being an entrepreneur or if it can be beneficial, I know some big corporations also need entrepreneurs, but I read in some forums that it could be harmful. Sometimes people say that good entrepreneurs are bad employees...What advice would you give me when it comes to stating this on my CV/application? Thank you.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends if you wind up the company you have before taking up the job.

Or at least can explain how you will run the company out of hours? If you're working in IB youd not have much time out of the hours hour giving as an employee....
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If anything it would be beneficial i imagine. I cant imagine firms taking a dim view on it.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The benefit to the employer is however you choose to spin it. What you need to work out is what is best for you. Do you want to be the captain of your own destiny, making your own decisions or do you want to work for an organisation where you have to fit in, do what they want and work in the way they prescribe?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
who told you 'people say good entrepreneurs are bad employees'? who says you were a good entrepreneur anyway? :dontknow:

how would your knowledge and experience of being an entrepreneur make you a good worker in corporate finance? seems to me like you'd approach it as any job on your CV.

btw i moved your thread to the Finance career forum
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)
If anything it would be beneficial i imagine. I cant imagine firms taking a dim view on it.
You wouldn't take a dim view on one of your employees running their company on your time?
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
people know that people who are interested in entrepreneurship, would 99% of the time rather do that than their corporate job. they are going to think that you will leave as soon as your company starts doing well
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quady)
You wouldn't take a dim view on one of your employees running their company on your time?
From what the user said he would have this as a back ground not be moonlighting? Or did i misread it?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)
From what the user said he would have this as a back ground not be moonlighting? Or did i misread it?
Background or not I'm unclear how one can run a company when you're unavailable during the working day.

They do say they want to work in Investment Banking which doesn't give much background time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (68)
22.59%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
44.52%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (62)
20.6%

Watched Threads