tilderoos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi! I am a lost soon-to-be student and I have no idea if studying psychology at university will be worth it. I enjoy it, but I would really miss the more scientific type of subjects like maths, physics etc... Is there anyone majoring in psychology that could tell me if they think they have gotten something out of it. I am big on self-development so that is why I'm asking. Also, what do you think about med school if you'd compare it to psychology? Is it better to go to med school or major in psychology, not focusing on the money aspect of it?
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Probs, in this day and age where everyone suddenly has mental health issues its probs a wise move.
tilderoos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Probs, in this day and age where everyone suddenly has mental health issues its probs a wise move.
Haha, you're probably right! Do you have any experience in the field?
mtsot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi! Engaging in the mental health field is only one of the many fields of psychology. There are a lot of possible career paths to follow with a psychology major and you may pursue a lot of different MSc and research degrees.
If you are interested in quant subjects then you could get involved in experimental research, cognitive science, organizational behavior, decision sciences, neuroscience, and so on. Although I am not an expert in this field, psychology research may involve a lot of statistics. Social data science and quantitative psychology are fields with a lot of research opportunities and interests. You could do some search about the possibilities and I hope that more qualified members will reply to you.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, if you want to self-develop do not study psychology. Many people want to do that and some study pscyhology to do so to uncover themselves and other such terms. Psychology as a university subject has close to zero things like this, it is a science of the brain and mental processes so you study things like perception, thinking, stress, reaction times, attitude formation things like this which can be very interesting or very boring depending on your interest. But it is nothing to do with self-development.

Also, because most of psychology is a science about one third of your degree will be studying research methods e.g. how to do experiments/interviews (but learning the theory mainly not actually performing many) and statistics. People are often shocked it is so statistics/science heavy before they join a course.

Then when you graduate you may expect to get a psychology-type job, most students don't and get jobs in other things like marketing, IT, retail whatever.

Medicine is a much better thing if you can get in, it offers a stable career path.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads