Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
I'm considering coming to the UK to get my undergraduate degree and I have 4 english universities in my top 5. I was hoping to be able to get either a scholarship, a boursary or a student loan, will it still be possible after Brexit?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,
I'm considering coming to the UK to get my undergraduate degree and I have 4 english universities in my top 5. I was hoping to be able to get either a scholarship, a bursary or a student loan, will it still be possible after Brexit?
It will very much depend on trade negotiations, which are not going well at the moment.
Assuming you are unable to start this year and there are no other agreements, then EU students will be classed the same way as international students with the same fees and no student loans or home fees.

Scholarships and bursaries will depend on the university, but if you are not coming this year then there will be very much fewer open to you.
If you arent starting this year then I would suggest looking elsewhere in the EU as I dont think its worth the cost of self funding a degree entirely.

If you are thinking of Sept 2020 intake then you will get UK student loans. home fees and better access to bursaries.
The UK has already left the EU and is in a transition period till the end of the year. The only other difference is if you were living and remain living in the UK at the time of Brexit being 31 Jan 2020.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
It will very much depend on trade negotiations, which are not going well at the moment.
Assuming you are unable to start this year and there are no other agreements, then EU students will be classed the same way as international students with the same fees and no student loans or home fees.

Scholarships and bursaries will depend on the university, but if you are not coming this year then there will be very much fewer open to you.
If you arent starting this year then I would suggest looking elsewhere in the EU as I dont think its worth the cost of self funding a degree entirely.

If you are thinking of Sept 2020 intake then you will get UK student loans. home fees and better access to bursaries.
The UK has already left the EU and is in a transition period till the end of the year. The only other difference is if you were living and remain living in the UK at the time of Brexit being 31 Jan 2020.
Mh...I see. It's just that I was hoping of still being able to get my degree there since my goal is to permanently move to the UK. Do you know if scottish universities will adopt the same policy? Their fees are much more approachable for me.
Muddypaws1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mh...I see. It's just that I was hoping of still being able to get my degree there since my goal is to permanently move to the UK. Do you know if scottish universities will adopt the same policy? Their fees are much more approachable for me.
If coming to university in Scotland this year you will get funding for whole of your studies, Unfortunately after that it is thought that EU students will be charged.
In normal circumstances after Brexit, EU students may have been lucky and Scotland decide to give free University education as Scotland still wants to be in the EU. But due to Coronavirus the economy
In Scotland like the rest of UK will have a real downturn in the economy so I don’t think giving EU students reduced fees will be top priority for them. I think it would be a risk. If you can afford the fees then still apply but otherwise it’s a big risk.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
I highly doubt the option will be open. I am not completely sure whether Scotland would have that authority. Better see what happens with negotiations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads