kakalaka06
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,
I'm taking aqa psychology starting in September and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to revise or any links to any youtube channels that helped
Thank you
Unknownx12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Unfortunately pyschology is a pretty new exam so there’s like only 2 official past papers so I would recommend only doing them towards the end when you have fully revised topics . Make flashcards for the case studies which includes names of researchers , no of ppts and evaluation points .
kakalaka06
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Anthonia03)
Unfortunately pyschology is a pretty new exam so there’s like only 2 official past papers so I would recommend only doing them towards the end when you have fully revised topics . Make flashcards for the case studies which includes names of researchers , no of ppts and evaluation points .
thank you
DP4300
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Are you in year 9? If so I'm doing OCR Psychology and I'm in year 10!
Just make detailed notes and test yourself --> (that's quite helpful)
(Both specifications - OCR & AQA are quite similar)
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by kakalaka06)
Hi,
I'm taking aqa psychology starting in September and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to revise or any links to any youtube channels that helped
Thank you
Personally ATM I would spend time researching psychology opposed to focusing on the GCSE curriculum.
I am autistic so I am a little biased, but try watching 'autism in pink' on YouTube.
There are some exceptional 'Ted talks' about psychology and about mental illness available on YouTube.
With out patronising you, some of the things you may read about/ watch will shock you. Early research 'methodologies' where often extremely unethical and cruel. And 'mental illnesses' look very different to how they are often displayed in popular culture.
Last edited by glassalice; 6 months ago
libero
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i did edexcel psychology, but i wrote a few tips for a year 10 class -
(obviously this is not applicable for everyone but some ideas might be transferrable )

since psychology is a very content heavy subject, you will be expected to learn ALL terminology, case studies and statistics, so one thing i did to memorise them was in addition to making notes, right before the exam (maybe 2 hours before) i would read my SHORT notes (which had all the small statistical and numerical data, so that they would be fresh on your mind when you walk in the exam hall)
listen to *teacher* when s/he explains structures for the essays (the structure for essays differs from the marks awarded - you have to add A01, A02 AND A03 in EACH paragraph)
DO NOT try to cram your work on the last night before the exam - instead, revise thoroughly and often, then right before the exam read the most important parts, which for me were the small details that i keep forgetting (think reductionist not holistic)
social influence and memory were the two easiest topics for me, mainly (i think) because they were the first two taught, then i started to slack off on the notes. do not do this, and keep on TOP of all of your notes, because psychology is all about remembering the CONTEXT and application of knowledge.
during the exam, think about how long you should be spending on each question (general rule: 1 minute per mark). make sure you keep checking the time!! i spent less than 1 minute on 1 mark questions, so that i could give myself 15 minutes for those 9 mark questions and to double check everything at the end.
kakalaka06
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by libero)
i did edexcel psychology, but i wrote a few tips for a year 10 class -
(obviously this is not applicable for everyone but some ideas might be transferrable )

since psychology is a very content heavy subject, you will be expected to learn ALL terminology, case studies and statistics, so one thing i did to memorise them was in addition to making notes, right before the exam (maybe 2 hours before) i would read my SHORT notes (which had all the small statistical and numerical data, so that they would be fresh on your mind when you walk in the exam hall)
listen to *teacher* when s/he explains structures for the essays (the structure for essays differs from the marks awarded - you have to add A01, A02 AND A03 in EACH paragraph)
DO NOT try to cram your work on the last night before the exam - instead, revise thoroughly and often, then right before the exam read the most important parts, which for me were the small details that i keep forgetting (think reductionist not holistic)
social influence and memory were the two easiest topics for me, mainly (i think) because they were the first two taught, then i started to slack off on the notes. do not do this, and keep on TOP of all of your notes, because psychology is all about remembering the CONTEXT and application of knowledge.
during the exam, think about how long you should be spending on each question (general rule: 1 minute per mark). make sure you keep checking the time!! i spent less than 1 minute on 1 mark questions, so that i could give myself 15 minutes for those 9 mark questions and to double check everything at the end.
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads