The Student Room Group

becoming a paramedic

HI currently I am 21 and only have completed gcses. around 4 years ago. I was wondering how I get from where I am now to being able to become a paramedic, would it be through access courses volunteering or what. how much would it cost and many years would it take.
Hi there,
There's several different ways you can go through it, either via a University degree which is at least 3 years, but you can also get an apprenticeship by applying through an ambulance service, I understand having healthcare experience like St Johns and a driving licence will help your chances though.
This should have most of the info you'll need although the timings do seem unclear

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/paramedic

hope that helps!
Original post by Beanobond
Hi there,
There's several different ways you can go through it, either via a University degree which is at least 3 years, but you can also get an apprenticeship by applying through an ambulance service, I understand having healthcare experience like St Johns and a driving licence will help your chances though.
This should have most of the info you'll need although the timings do seem unclear

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/paramedic

hope that helps!

Hi, i am wanting to go down the apprenticeship route for paramedics and you seem to know more than me. I was wondering what a levels would you suggest would be best. I am choosing chem over bio bcos i enjoy it more and i am struggling what other two to choose bcos obvs i want to choose something i enjoy. I am struggling to pick 2 more between the options criminology, sociology, health and social care and pe also psychology but i am a bit put off it. Also would you suggest the apprentice or uni route is better. Thanks katie
Original post by katie tomo
Hi, i am wanting to go down the apprenticeship route for paramedics and you seem to know more than me. I was wondering what a levels would you suggest would be best. I am choosing chem over bio bcos i enjoy it more and i am struggling what other two to choose bcos obvs i want to choose something i enjoy. I am struggling to pick 2 more between the options criminology, sociology, health and social care and pe also psychology but i am a bit put off it. Also would you suggest the apprentice or uni route is better. Thanks katie

Hi, if you're looking to go down the apprentice route, i wouldn't think that itd make much difference to be honest, however its important to show a competence in science or health, which will be the purpose of bio, so id say to take what youd most enjoy for the other 2, most of them seem like good options! But i would definitely advise that you look into volunteering or work at a local care home or hospital, this experience is favoured a lot in healthcare and itll really help your prospects. I really enjoyed a level psych myself, so definiitely consider it, but thats up to you ultimately.

I would personally prefer to do it the apprentice route as i think the experience will really help and you can feel a lot more engaged while doing it, but i think that some of these will require driving experience, and can be very competitive too. Uni is definitely something to realistically aim for though and you have clear requirements, and you have the whole experience too! Either way i couldnt say one is better than the other, think it just depends on your situation. and if you havent seen this already, good place to start. Sorry for the slow reply.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/ambulance-service-team/roles-ambulance-service/paramedic/entry-requirements-and-training-paramedic
Original post by Beanobond
Hi, if you're looking to go down the apprentice route, i wouldn't think that itd make much difference to be honest, however its important to show a competence in science or health, which will be the purpose of bio, so id say to take what youd most enjoy for the other 2, most of them seem like good options! But i would definitely advise that you look into volunteering or work at a local care home or hospital, this experience is favoured a lot in healthcare and itll really help your prospects. I really enjoyed a level psych myself, so definiitely consider it, but thats up to you ultimately.

I would personally prefer to do it the apprentice route as i think the experience will really help and you can feel a lot more engaged while doing it, but i think that some of these will require driving experience, and can be very competitive too. Uni is definitely something to realistically aim for though and you have clear requirements, and you have the whole experience too! Either way i couldnt say one is better than the other, think it just depends on your situation. and if you havent seen this already, good place to start. Sorry for the slow reply.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/ambulance-service-team/roles-ambulance-service/paramedic/entry-requirements-and-training-paramedic

Thank u so much this was incredibly helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending