Beanobond
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi guys, I'm going to start my first year in medical science at ARU, I'm hoping to transfer to medicine at the end of the year and I'm aware of the high performance required and I feel confident for the UCAT, however I'm not sure if I would approach the university or whether they'd approach me? I've struggled to find out much about this path other than the first year performance requirements so if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Beanobond)
Hi guys, I'm going to start my first year in medical science at ARU, I'm hoping to transfer to medicine at the end of the year and I'm aware of the high performance required and I feel confident for the UCAT, however I'm not sure if I would approach the university or whether they'd approach me? I've struggled to find out much about this path other than the first year performance requirements so if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!
This is going to be an incredibly competitive transfer process.

Have you thought about taking a gap year to improve your A Levels and other stats so you can apply to 4 med schools, instead of relying on this extremely difficult and competitive internal transfer for just one uni?

Moved to the ARU thread, hopefully you'll get a better response here.
Beanobond
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
This is going to be an incredibly competitive transfer process.

Have you thought about taking a gap year to improve your A Levels and other stats so you can apply to 4 med schools, instead of relying on this extremely difficult and competitive internal transfer for just one uni?

Moved to the ARU thread, hopefully you'll get a better response here.
Thanks for the response!
This exam year I was hoping to improve my grades and apply for medicine in 2021 however due to these circumstances I'm not able to sit them so am expecting lower grades, albeit they arent bad, They wont be good enough. I understand it isn't ideal to rely on the one med school, however if i can't do this i will consider either a Graduate medicine or a PA degree.

Appreciate that mate, thank you!
Advertisement
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
Hi, just thought I’d chip in as I’m a first year Medical Science student at ARU so may be able to help. A large majority of students on the course are hoping to get into medicine from the Medical Science course. It is very competitive, you mentioned that you knew the grade requirements from first year which is great! I personally am not trying to get into medicine so not sure of other requirements but everyone I personally know on the course hasn’t quite managed to either achieve the grades or pass the interview or UCAT unfortunately. However some people that were dead set on getting into medicine have since changed their minds after doing a year of Medical Science and wish to stay on the course anyway.
Hope this has remotely helped and feel free to ask anymore questions!
Beanobond
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, just thought I’d chip in as I’m a first year Medical Science student at ARU so may be able to help. A large majority of students on the course are hoping to get into medicine from the Medical Science course. It is very competitive, you mentioned that you knew the grade requirements from first year which is great! I personally am not trying to get into medicine so not sure of other requirements but everyone I personally know on the course hasn’t quite managed to either achieve the grades or pass the interview or UCAT unfortunately. However some people that were dead set on getting into medicine have since changed their minds after doing a year of Medical Science and wish to stay on the course anyway.
Hi there,
thanks for the reply, I've come to realise that you need the same A levels as required by medicine to do the transfer. I am a bit disappointed but i am really looking forward to studying medical science still, and will just enjoy that for the moment. That does make me feel reassured, thanks, what are your thoughts about the course? And do you think there's anything helpful i could do while I'm waiting to prepare or get ahead? i appreciate any help, just want to get prepared while i have the free time!
Advertisement
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
Hi there,
thanks for the reply, I've come to realise that you need the same A levels as required by medicine to do the transfer. I am a bit disappointed but i am really looking forward to studying medical science still, and will just enjoy that for the moment. That does make me feel reassured, thanks, what are your thoughts about the course? And do you think there's anything helpful i could do while I'm waiting to prepare or get ahead? i appreciate any help, just want to get prepared while i have the free time!
Ah great, glad I could help! That’s a shame about the A-level requirements but if you do have your heart set on medicine then there is always post-graduate entry.
I’m really enjoying the course, finding it very interesting and challenging but that’s a good thing I think! There’s a great range of lab sessions, lectures and computer sessions to help you learn. Lecturers are approachable and willing to help.
For me I’m a mature student coming from an Access to Health Professions background so if I could go back I would have had a better look at the upcoming modules to prepare for the course. As it was I was debating doing a foundation year, glad I didn’t choose that in the end but felt I could have been better prepared for first semester. But I think a lot of people who have done science A-levels find the content more manageable so for you I’d just suggest having a look at the module content on the ARU website just to prepare for what you will be taught. I think at some point you will get a suggested reading list so could always buy one of those in advance?
I’d also definitely recommend going to speak to the welcome buddy at the start of the year, they will be able to introduce you to other course mates and help you settle in!
TheArchitect365
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm pretty sure that you have to be exceptionally good to get a offer for medicine , like 90%+ Considering basically everyone on these kind of courses has the same idea which is to get into medicine.
Advertisement
TheArchitect365
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I personally would record a access to medicine course as you are way more likely to get into medicine
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by TheArchitect365)
I'm pretty sure that you have to be exceptionally good to get a offer for medicine , like 90%+ Considering basically everyone on these kind of courses has the same idea which is to get into medicine.
You have to get 65% or above in every assignment and 75% overall as an average.
Advertisement
KGB2020
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, can I ask you something about the time table for Medical Science please? I applied for the same course but with foundation year, Just wanted to know more about it please. Can i pm u directly? Thanks
ARUOfficial
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi Beanobond
I'm so sorry I hadn't seen this thread before! There's a lot of information on internal ARU students transferring to Medicine here, but essentially you'd need to apply through UCAS by the October deadline. Check out that web page and see if you're any clearer and then if you have any questions let me know! I think it sounds like you've made up your mind but do look into it if it is something you're truly passionate about and don't give up.
Look forward to seeing you in September
best
Megan
Advertisement
Beanobond
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by ARUOfficial)
Hi Beanobond
I'm so sorry I hadn't seen this thread before! There's a lot of information on internal ARU students transferring to Medicine here, but essentially you'd need to apply through UCAS by the October deadline. Check out that web page and see if you're any clearer and then if you have any questions let me know! I think it sounds like you've made up your mind but do look into it if it is something you're truly passionate about and don't give up.
Look forward to seeing you in September
best
Megan
Hi Megan,
Thanks for getting back to me, i eventually found this out thankfully! The only query i have is whether our A Level Results play a role in this? As i understand it, you dont need to meet the A level requirements, but always better to be sure and hear it from you guys!

Thanks a Lot
Joseph
ARUOfficial
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi Megan,
Thanks for getting back to me, i eventually found this out thankfully! The only query i have is whether our A Level Results play a role in this? As i understand it, you dont need to meet the A level requirements, but always better to be sure and hear it from you guys!

Thanks a Lot
Joseph
Hi Joseph
Absolutely, happy to help, your Level 3 grades (in this case Alevels) will effectively be replaced by your Medical science 1st year. You would still need to meet GCSE and UKCAT requirements and pass the interview as well as the requirements set out on the website in your first year.
Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help
~megan

https://aru.ac.uk/study/undergraduat...ernal-transfer
Advertisement
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ARUOfficial)
Hi Joseph
Absolutely, happy to help, your Level 3 grades (in this case Alevels) will effectively be replaced by your Medical science 1st year. You would still need to meet GCSE and UKCAT requirements and pass the interview as well as the requirements set out on the website in your first year.
Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help
~megan

https://aru.ac.uk/study/undergraduat...ernal-transfer
Hi,

I just wanted to ask what the ucat cut offs have been before/what ucat score would likely be needed this year? I did have an offer for medicine last year but lost it because I was a private candidate and didn't receive grades, I got that offer with a ucat score of 2540 B3 and this year got a 2550 B2, since the transfer is so competitive, would this cut off differ from that for the normal applicants? Thanks
ARUOfficial
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi,

I just wanted to ask what the ucat cut offs have been before/what ucat score would likely be needed this year? I did have an offer for medicine last year but lost it because I was a private candidate and didn't receive grades, I got that offer with a ucat score of 2540 B3 and this year got a 2550 B2, since the transfer is so competitive, would this cut off differ from that for the normal applicants? ThanksThe
Hello!

If you wish to apply for 2021 entry to Medicine via Transfer you’ll need to submit your UCAS application by 15 October 2020 and to have already sat the UCAT test in the summer of 2020. The UCAT is likely to be at least 2440.
The link above shows you the other requirements needed to apply by Oct 15.
Best
Megan
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by KGB2020)
Hi, can I ask you something about the time table for Medical Science please? I applied for the same course but with foundation year, Just wanted to know more about it please. Can i pm u directly? Thanks
Hi, sorry I haven’t logged in for a while, been ill. Yes ask away I’ll try help with anything.
jake_peralta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I saw this thread really late but I hope I can help. Im currently a first year medic at ARU and i transferred last year. Five of us managed to transfer so it is not impossible! If you have any questions let me know!
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (48)
17.84%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (75)
27.88%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
37.92%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (34)
12.64%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.72%

Watched Threads