rebeccapooles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Funding for Paramedicine, ELQ rule. I have been refused funding by SFE because I already hold a degree and I am not getting funding from the ambulance trust. Apparently this advice is correct and up to date. Ive looked at the Department for Health and Social Care legislation which states that Paramedicine is an exemption to the 2nd degree ELQ rule but not for students with previous study. It appears to be inconsistent with the policy applied to all other pre-registration AHP subjects so I have challenged by sending an email. I have also emailed the NHS Chief of Allied Healthcare programmes who has a lot to do with the NHS Long Term Plan and addressing the shortages of paramedics in the UK. I’ve emailed my local MP too for support. One of my questions is why would I get full funding for paramedicine if I was studying in Wales? ELQ is disregarded if I were to study in Wales. Seems rather unfair and discriminatory to me. My career goal is to become a nurse paramedic. Another question - if I had studied to become a paramedic in the first instance I would have received full funding and then if I applied for a nursing degree (2nd degree) I would still get full funding. The outcome is the same - nurse paramedic so why be disadvantaged just because of the way you have done the studying?! NHS retention is not going to go well if I cannot secure funding to achieve my career goals to become a nurse paramedic in an advanced critical care role. I will leave the NHS, despite them already spending in excess of £70K on my training to date. I will go private instead, simple. Typical of the government to get this so wrong and yet again lose so many valuable people with core transferable skills!
Advertisement
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by rebeccapooles)
Funding for Paramedicine, ELQ rule. I have been refused funding by SFE because I already hold a degree and I am not getting funding from the ambulance trust. Apparently this advice is correct and up to date. Ive looked at the Department for Health and Social Care legislation which states that Paramedicine is an exemption to the 2nd degree ELQ rule but not for students with previous study. It appears to be inconsistent with the policy applied to all other pre-registration AHP subjects so I have challenged by sending an email. I have also emailed the NHS Chief of Allied Healthcare programmes who has a lot to do with the NHS Long Term Plan and addressing the shortages of paramedics in the UK. I’ve emailed my local MP too for support. One of my questions is why would I get full funding for paramedicine if I was studying in Wales? ELQ is disregarded if I were to study in Wales. Seems rather unfair and discriminatory to me. My career goal is to become a nurse paramedic. Another question - if I had studied to become a paramedic in the first instance I would have received full funding and then if I applied for a nursing degree (2nd degree) I would still get full funding. The outcome is the same - nurse paramedic so why be disadvantaged just because of the way you have done the studying?! NHS retention is not going to go well if I cannot secure funding to achieve my career goals to become a nurse paramedic in an advanced critical care role. I will leave the NHS, despite them already spending in excess of £70K on my training to date. I will go private instead, simple. Typical of the government to get this so wrong and yet again lose so many valuable people with core transferable skills!
Hi there, paramedicine is an AHP course but it's correct that it's not an exception course unless you are receiving funding from the Ambulance Service Trust.

Paramedicine students can apply for the NHS Grant so you could still get some funding if the NHS give this grant which is a minimum of £5,000.
Thanks, Isaac.
rebeccapooles
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi there, paramedicine is an AHP course but it's correct that it's not an exception course unless you are receiving funding from the Ambulance Service Trust.

Paramedicine students can apply for the NHS Grant so you could still get some funding if the NHS give this grant which is a minimum of £5,000.
Thanks Isaac.
Not the case Isaac. NHS grant is only available if approved for student finance.
Advertisement
rebeccapooles
Rep:
?
Not the case Isaac. NHS grant is only available if approved for student finance.
So back to square one - if you already have a degree then there is no student finance from SFE or grants from the NHS available. So people with a degree CANNOT train to be a paramedic unless they can support themselves AND pay the tuition fees whilst on a full time course for 3 years. It’s my guess that most people will not be able to sustain that. That excludes a lot of people from paramedic training so just how does the government and the NHS expect to address the National shortages of paramedics? Mmm....it’s just not going to happen because the funding arrangements are inconsistent, unsupportive, discriminatory and unrealistic - fact!
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As far as I'm aware that isn't true because the NHS have not released any information about the grant yet so I don't know who has told you that.

When info is released it will be on here https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/learning-s...tudent-funding
They are working with the goverment to finalise details before they can release more information.

The NHS grant doesn't affect SFE funding and I don't think you will need to be eligible for SFE funding to get the NHS grant.
Thanks, Isaac.
Advertisement
rebeccapooles
Rep:
?
As far as I'm aware that isn't true because the NHS have not released any information about the grant yet so I don't know who has told you that.

When info is released it will be on here https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/learning-s...tudent-funding
They are working with the goverment to finalise details before they can release more information.

The NHS grant doesn't affect SFE funding and I don't think you will need to be eligible for SFE funding to get the NHS grant.
Thanks, Isaac.
Isaac I have been advised by NHS bursaries. Please contact them if you are not sure about the advice you are giving.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Isaac I have been advised by NHS bursaries. Please contact them if you are not sure about the advice you are giving.
The new funding is a grant not a bursary and I can't give advice on this product as it's not an SFE product. I'm just stating that the NHS have not released any information about this grant yet so once official information has been released you may be eligible for the grant even if you are not eligible for SFE funding.
Thanks, Isaac.
Advertisement
rebeccapooles
Rep:
?
The new funding is a grant not a bursary and I can't give advice on this product as it's not an SFE product. I'm just stating that the NHS have not released any information about this grant yet so once official information has been released you may be eligible for the grant even if you are not eligible for SFE funding.
Thanks, Isaac.
I’ve done the research and involved all the relevant governing bodies. I am confident you will see a change to this discriminatory way of funding for paramedicine in the near future.
I’m taking the funding inequality for paramedicine all the way to the top.
See letter below:
Name:  2A24F634-7149-4F9C-AFDD-A41F95E44866.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  83.9 KB
rebeccapooles
Rep:
?
Thanks, Isaac.
Isaac, you need to be giving clear advice AND be able to provide explanations to questions regarding funding eligibility - if you are indeed an SFE ‘expert’. To date you have still not explained WHY the pre-registration AHP in paramedicine is not included in the list of pre-registration AHP’s with the ELQ disregard for student finance funding. It is not enough to simply state that it is not on the list - as an expert you need to explain why. I’m not an expert but I do know why - student finance still have the degree course classified as a healthcare science! Do you know the reason why? I do. Paramedicine was converted to an all degree subject in 2018, thus, attracting the ‘standard student funding package’ and fell into the bracket of a healthcare science. Previous to 2018, before it became a degree, paramedicine attracted a scope of funding from education and local authorities. Paramedic science is now a degree and falls in line with other pre-registration AHP’s and Nursing and Midwifery courses under the education funding reforms 2017 due to its unique characteristics of the course such as - placement length, clinical placement requirements and student demographic. This is the reason why students studying paramedic science will now be eligible for the NHS Learner Support Fund. During the education funding reforms in 2017, paramedicine was not included on the list of AHP’s for student funding because the Department of Health and Social Care together with the Department for Education overlooked it and assumed funding was already available through the ‘standard student funding package’ The problem with this (which I have now escalated to parliament for review through my local MP) is that previous study rules apply on standard student funding packages, meaning if you already have a degree you will not be eligible for funding for another equivalent qualification (ELQ rule). Subjects on the AHP list for funding have an exemption so the ELQ disregard rule applies. Meaning previous study is discounted and full funding is given. Do you know why? It’s because the UK has a national shortage of professionals in those fields of expertise. Guess what? Paramedicine has been formally recognised as one of these shortages by the government and it is referenced in the NHS Long Term Plan as an area to recruit. So this clearly needs to be reviewed by the government as a matter of urgency because it is discriminatory and unfair. Consider yourself educated, if you don’t believe this then do the expert research yourself. I will submit the responses from government when I receive them. Hope this helps those out there who also find themselves up against this ridiculous funding barrier to education and training for a healthcare qualification.
Last edited by rebeccapooles; 7 months ago
Advertisement
BeverlyBa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Did any Paramedic student doing it as a self-funded second degree (as per current ELQ mess) successfully apply for NHS grants? The application appears to link to SFeligability - therefore self-funding second degree students are also unable to get any of the grants or expenses for placement/ ppe, etc.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BeverlyBa)
Did any Paramedic student doing it as a self-funded second degree (as per current ELQ mess) successfully apply for NHS grants? The application appears to link to SFeligability - therefore self-funding second degree students are also unable to get any of the grants or expenses for placement/ ppe, etc.
Hi, as far as I'm aware the NHS are not awarding any grant if students are ineligible for SFE funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads