Since when is beer unhealthy?

Watch
Richardo18
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Beer was once the most healthiest drinks to have, more healthy than veg or fruit smoothies, but now it's apparently unhealthy and its better not to drink it, if people want to avoid beer bellies. Could it become healthy again or will it now remain unhealthy?
josie71202
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
beer was only healthy when we didn't know the science
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Beer was probably healthy back when there was a non-zero chance of getting cholera from drinking water.
kdr1912
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol people used to think smoking cigarettes was not gonna harm you
Pinkisk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I recently wrote this reply on another thread. I think it's relevant to your question.

I like James Randy's view on this topic. Listen to what he has to say to rationalise why he does not drink alcohol, smoke or take any kind of drugs

One of the greatest thinkers of our time. I do not agree with him on everything but in this topic I am in total agreement with him.

I worked in a CT department. I was involved in a lot of CT head scans. You can always distinguish those who drink alcohol from those who don't from these scans. Alcohol kills brain cells and the damage is noticeable on the CT head scans of those who drink alcohol. In those who drink alcohol there is always noticeable cerebral atrophy. In laymen's terms, their brains are smaller.

Here's a picture of a CT head for a chronic alcoholic. The brain on the far left is relatively free of atrophy. The atrophy is worse in 2010 and worse still in 2014. The amount of atrophy you see in the picture on the far right for 2014 is similar to most CT heads I have seen performed on 50+ year olds who drink alcohol...They start drinking in their youth and once they reach their 50s and 60s they have similar brain structure to a chronic alcoholic. I have seen many that are far far far worse than this. Note: the damage is irreversible and the impact it has on their cognitive abilities and their health is significant. This is just one of the many reasons why alcohol is unhealthy. Its a huge risk factor for a myriad of other very serious/life threatening conditions (most cardiovascular diseases, many cancers, most neurodegenerative diseases e.g. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's etc. and the list goes on and on). It's also a significant risk factor for serious crimes (violence, addiction, rape, deaths by dangerous driving etc.) It's a risk factor for depression, for suicide. It's a risk factor for other risk factors such as obesity. Alcohol is much worse than smoking. It's much more dangerous than many harmful drugs.

Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (100)
59.17%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
10.65%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (21)
12.43%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.1%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.33%

Watched Threads