What could help me get into the RAF

Watch
Tibjimho
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, I have wanted to join the RAF since I was 10 years old and I did work experience last year at RAF Leeming and really enjoyed it. I want to be an air traffic controller. I am wondering what I could do to get into the RAF because I have been told that I have to play team sports by multiple people. Is this true? I started playing school rugby 2 months ago so would this help or would it have to be for a club or for longer? I am planning to continue this throughout college. Will a job help because I used to work before quarantine at a caravan shop and I am planning on getting a job at a catering place or as a cashier. Does anyone have any advice? I would really appreciate it!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Theatonj03)
Hi, I have wanted to join the RAF since I was 10 years old and I did work experience last year at RAF Leeming and really enjoyed it. I want to be an air traffic controller. I am wondering what I could do to get into the RAF because I have been told that I have to play team sports by multiple people. Is this true? I started playing school rugby 2 months ago so would this help or would it have to be for a club or for longer? I am planning to continue this throughout college. Will a job help because I used to work before quarantine at a caravan shop and I am planning on getting a job at a catering place or as a cashier. Does anyone have any advice? I would really appreciate it!
Evidence of being a good team player is always helpful for the Armed Forces, where teamwork is key, so joining a sports team is a good start. You've got to be fit, so make sure you can meet at least the entry fitness requirements, and you can take some pressure of yourself if you can meet them comfortably.

Air Traffic is an aptitude based role, so make sure you have back-up plans in case you don't have the aptitude.

Work out what the best entry point and educational preparation you can do is. Usually the advice is to pursue your academic qualifications as far as you can, ie get a degree if you have that ability, because you never know when a career in the Armed Forces is going to end for some reason, and it's better to be equipped to do something else quickly, than make a complete restart.

Make sure you know the recruitment info on the careers website backwards and forwards, military people aren't very forgiving of people who are just using them as a substitute for Google.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I want to be an air traffic controller.Does anyone have any advice? I would really appreciate it!
Thought about air cadets? Though I'm guessing that's your birth year in your name so you're too late.

Read the RAF careers page for air traffic controller?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you are into sports simply 'playing' on a team, whilst it shows some commitment, isn't enough. What they want to see is leadership potential, so if you're involved in sports you are a captain, a club treasurer, kit man, fixtures manager, organised a charity match. If you look on the Armed Forces subforum in Careers and Jobs there are lots of threads advising various activities you can do to improve your chances, including having a job.

If you did work experience, that was a good opportunity to ask people what they did to get into the RAF....
Nalufit88
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Join the air cadets as a adult officer it will be really beneficial for you before you apply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (283)
56.71%
I don't have everything I need (216)
43.29%

Watched Threads