The Student Room Group

Eating disorder, being triggered by sibling's behaviour and habits?

Hi everyone, is there anyone else who has/has had an eating disorder, who has to live with someone who displays lots of triggering behaviours for you? (What I mean is, they do things that trigger your own worries and anxieties around food).

That's been my situation for the past 6 months or so. It makes it difficult to follow my doctor's advice, when I'm faced with someone who has so many triggering behaviours for me (e.g. making porridge with water - even skimmed milk has too many calories!), pulling the coating off fish fingers (too many calories!), eating less than 1000 calories a day....As someone who has been underweight at several points, and restricted my diet severely, having to live with someone like this makes it really difficult for me, in terms of my own mental health and attitude towards food.
Anyone here in/ever been in the same situation? Any advice?
Thank you x
Omg, yes. My mum is very busy and sometimes she doesn't "have time" to eat and talk to me about it like it would be something she would be proud of. I get it that she doesn't know about my ED but it's still so triggering and I wish she could stop because it's also damaging to her own health too.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Omg, yes. My mum is very busy and sometimes she doesn't "have time" to eat and talk to me about it like it would be something she would be proud of. I get it that she doesn't know about my ED but it's still so triggering and I wish she could stop because it's also damaging to her own health too.

Omg, this is almost exactly the same situation with my sibling. The restriction is actually bad for her own health too!
I have this! they even comment on my food choices. Therapist told me to plan my food choices beforehand, and stick to them.

Quick Reply

Latest