sam_2910
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I was thinking of choosing IT BTEC as one of my A Level choices, but heard that BTEC’s aren’t considered “good” subjects to take in order to go to university.

Should I do it or swap subjects?
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If u can take the a level then that’s better but u can still go to uni with btecs
sam_2910
Rep:
?
There’s no ICT A Level option at my school, nor Computing so the only option is BTEC ICT, but don’t some university’s look down on BTECs?
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by sam_2910)
There’s no ICT A Level option at my school, nor Computing so the only option is BTEC ICT, but don’t some university’s look down on BTECs?
Yes some do. What are your other options, what do you want to do at uni and where?
sam_2910
Rep:
?
My other options were maths and Spanish, I know they are random subjects but they are ones I enjoy and I don’t know what I want to do career wise in the future.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My other options were maths and Spanish, I know they are random subjects but they are ones I enjoy and I don’t know what I want to do career wise in the future.
BTEC and A level are two completely different qualifications. A levels are exam focused and BTECs are coursework-based. I'd look more into the course s IT is not that well regarded [Computing pr Computer Science are more favoured]
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Maths is good. Maybe do the BTEC as a 4th option alongside a science?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Btecs arent a levels; they are another qualification. You can go to uni with btecs but it does limit your choices compare to a levels. it also depends if they accept a certain btec. They will accept your btec if you take it with a levels as well.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
There's computer science a level. They dont but ICT btec isn't really a great option. Is there anything at all you want to do in the future?
meganchristieee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m in my first year of college and I take a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in aeronautical engineering. As a whole, universities generally accept BTECs if they are as a D*DD or higher (sometimes lower but you’d need to check the universitie’s specific requirements). Through research I’ve also found that universities sometimes want students to have A levels as well. Bare in mind that I’m only speaking from an engineering point of view. If I were you I’d look as the top universities in your chosen subject and see what they ask for. If they require something like a maths A level too, don’t be put off still doing your BTEC. I’m in the position where I’m considering taking A level maths this year along with my BTEC so there are ways around it. It’s not really a case that universities look down on BTECs, it’s more so that they want BTEC students to have additional qualifications as well in order to display their academic capabilities.
hannahd0236
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I was thinking of choosing IT BTEC as one of my A Level choices, but heard that BTEC’s aren’t considered “good” subjects to take in order to go to university.

Should I do it or swap subjects?
I did a BTEC in travel and tourism at GCSE and I am planning of doing it again at A-level in college. I think BTEC's are an easy option because it is mainly coursework which you research from. I'm sure if you take another subject at A-level (not BTEC) then it should be fine. Hope this helps
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by meganchristieee)
I’m in my first year of college and I take a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in aeronautical engineering. As a whole, universities generally accept BTECs if they are as a D*DD or higher (sometimes lower but you’d need to check the universitie’s specific requirements). Through research I’ve also found that universities sometimes want students to have A levels as well. Bare in mind that I’m only speaking from an engineering point of view. If I were you I’d look as the top universities in your chosen subject and see what they ask for. If they require something like a maths A level too, don’t be put off still doing your BTEC. I’m in the position where I’m considering taking A level maths this year along with my BTEC so there are ways around it. It’s not really a case that universities look down on BTECs, it’s more so that they want BTEC students to have additional qualifications as well in order to display their academic capabilities.
Absolutely, because BTEC's and A-Levels require different skill sets.
If you want a career in something vocational BTEC's are a brilliant option.
Last edited by glassalice; 5 months ago
sam_2910
Rep:
?
Ahh right, thank you.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ahh right, thank you.
One big question that no one's asked is, what do you want to do post 6th form?
That should help determine what subjects you should take
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads