Growing glutes

Watch
Mol123w
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
If I’m a healthy weight can I grow the glutes and get abs eating at maintenance calories bc I don’t want to eat in a surplus because I have a short torso and large rib cage so I’ll end up looking like a blob if I gain fat in stomach
Capitalist_Lamb
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Mol123w)
If I’m a healthy weight can I grow the glutes and get abs eating at maintenance calories bc I don’t want to eat in a surplus because I have a short torso and large rib cage so I’ll end up looking like a blob if I gain fat in stomach
To grow muscle you need to be in a calorie surplus I'm afraid. You body needs the energy from the calories for hypertrophy which is where the the body repairs the broken muscle tissue from working out through protein synthesis. This also means you need to have a higher intake of protein so that the body has something to repair the muscle with.

The protein is what is used to repair the muscle and make it stronger/bigger and the calories are used to provide the energy for protein synthesis which is where the muscle repairs itself.

So yes, if you want to make your glute muscle bigger you will have to eat more calories/protein and perform exercises that induce hypertrophy.
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Capitalist_Lamb)
To grow muscle you need to be in a calorie surplus I'm afraid. You body needs the energy from the calories for hypertrophy which is where the the body repairs the broken muscle tissue from working out through protein synthesis. This also means you need to have a higher intake of protein so that the body has something to repair the muscle with.

The protein is what is used to repair the muscle and make it stronger/bigger and the calories are used to provide the energy for protein synthesis which is where the muscle repairs itself.

So yes, if you want to make your glute muscle bigger you will have to eat more calories/protein and perform exercises that induce hypertrophy.
You don't NEED a caloric surplus to build muscle however it is optimal to be in a caloric surplus.
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
You don't NEED a caloric surplus to build muscle however it is optimal to be in a caloric surplus.
Yes you can build muscle without being in a caloric surplus but the amount of muscle you would gain from your workouts would be negligible. Protein synthesis is required to make muscle tissue and yes the body does create this on the regular calories you eat but not enough for muscle gain effectively. It would take a long time for you to gain a small amount of muscle and the time between workouts would need to be increased as your muscles would not have enough time to repair due to their not being enough energy (calories) for protein synthesis to rebuild the broken down muscle tissues. You would also get to a certain point where you are no longer able to build the muscle any larger due to their being a lack of required protein and energy for protein synthesis. This is why professional strongmen need to eat so much as the more their muscle grows the more energy needed to repair the muscle. So The most effective way to build muscle is to be in a caloric surplus.

The only way your body can make muscle tissue is with energy. So if your body has enough energy already (fat) then yes you can use this energy stored as fat to induce protein synthases, but you still need the intake of protein to give the body something to repair the muscle with. However, if you do not have stored fats then you will need to consume more calories in order to gain more muscle. However, turning fat into energy is harder for the body than just breaking down food into energy and will also take it's toll on the muscle gain process too as the workouts will be much harder due to less fuel being in the body, which means the muscles will break down at a slower rate. So yes, it can be done but only if you already have stored fats (energy) in the body which can be turned into energy, but would be less effective than being in a caloric surplus, gaining the muscle quickly and then cutting down with a caloric deficit but keeping your protein intake high so that your body does not start to turn your muscle tissue (made from proteins) into energy and instead uses the proteins ingested for energy, reducing muscle loss when cutting. This also gives the body proteins to help rebuild muscle if the body does start to break down muscle into energy but the protein intake in mainly to prevent this.
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes you can build muscle without being in a caloric surplus but the amount of muscle you would gain from your workouts would be negligible. Protein synthesis is required to make muscle tissue and yes the body does create this on the regular calories you eat but not enough for muscle gain effectively. It would take a long time for you to gain a small amount of muscle and the time between workouts would need to be increased as your muscles would not have enough time to repair due to their not being enough energy (calories) for protein synthesis to rebuild the broken down muscle tissues. You would also get to a certain point where you are no longer able to build the muscle any larger due to their being a lack of required protein and energy for protein synthesis. This is why professional strongmen need to eat so much as the more their muscle grows the more energy needed to repair the muscle. So The most effective way to build muscle is to be in a caloric surplus.

The only way your body can make muscle tissue is with energy. So if your body has enough energy already (fat) then yes you can use this energy stored as fat to induce protein synthases, but you still need the intake of protein to give the body something to repair the muscle with. However, if you do not have stored fats then you will need to consume more calories in order to gain more muscle. However, turning fat into energy is harder for the body than just breaking down food into energy and will also take it's toll on the muscle gain process too as the workouts will be much harder due to less fuel being in the body, which means the muscles will break down at a slower rate. So yes, it can be done but only if you already have stored fats (energy) in the body which can be turned into energy, but would be less effective than being in a caloric surplus, gaining the muscle quickly and then cutting down with a caloric deficit but keeping your protein intake high so that your body does not start to turn your muscle tissue (made from proteins) into energy and instead uses the proteins ingested for energy, reducing muscle loss when cutting. This also gives the body proteins to help rebuild muscle if the body does start to break down muscle into energy but the protein intake in mainly to prevent this.
Yes, I completely agree with you.
CuriousK
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

How do you know how many calories to have
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by CuriousK)
How do you know how many calories to have
You can work it out through a calorie calculator but it's hard to get an exact number because it depends highly on the exercises. For example one day you might do a heavy workout and so need more calories for your body to repair and another day you might do a light workout and so would need less calories. Look up online a calorie calculator and it should help you to get a rough understanding of the amount of calories you need. Just remember you need a high protein intake as muscles are made mostly of proteins, I think around 80% so you need the extra protein to rebuild the muscle
TheMandalorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Mol123w)
Everyone has abs. I am guessing you are saying you want visible six pack abs. Your body fat percentage needs to be low enough for your abs to be visible. But you also need to have a good level of muscle mass as well. You don’t want skinny people abs. That doesn’t look good.

Really, I am with the other guy who said optimal muscle gains occurs when you’re in a calorie surplus. If your diet is clean you will gain more muscle than fat. Drink only water. No fruit juices or soft drinks because they are high in sugar. Eat sirloin steak and other lean cuts of meat like chicken breast, coupled with lots of dairy and fruit/veg.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads