Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi

I did all science A levels with maths.

I'm wondering how much I will struggle doing an economics degree at a top business school (Warwick for example). I have not ever had to write essays before so it's worrying me.
chi2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

I'm wondering how much I will struggle doing an economics degree at a top business school (Warwick for example). I have not ever had to write essays before so it's worrying me.
It depends on the module. Econometric essays (2nd and 3rd year mostly) will have more maths content so probably will be easier to write an essay/report, and they tend to be more structured (not just intro, main points, conclusion).

You might have some form of essay for micro/macro which I did struggle with for essay practice, but under exam conditions I found it easier. Perhaps plan essays to practice, that way you can get the content on paper without having to simultaneously worry about essay structure etc.? Then it's just a matter of fine tuning or asking the lecturer/someone on your course.

If you tend to be more scientific, maybe focus on the stats/econometrics modules in later years to avoid writing essays! Although you probably will need to write a dissertation so maybe choose one or two essay modules to help you improve.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by chi2)
It depends on the module. Econometric essays (2nd and 3rd year mostly) will have more maths content so probably will be easier to write an essay/report, and they tend to be more structured (not just intro, main points, conclusion).

You might have some form of essay for micro/macro which I did struggle with for essay practice, but under exam conditions I found it easier. Perhaps plan essays to practice, that way you can get the content on paper without having to simultaneously worry about essay structure etc.? Then it's just a matter of fine tuning or asking the lecturer/someone on your course.

If you tend to be more scientific, maybe focus on the stats/econometrics modules in later years to avoid writing essays! Although you probably will need to write a dissertation so maybe choose one or two essay modules to help you improve.
thank you!
did you/ do you go to Warwick?
i'm alright at maths but will probably find that challenging too at somewhere like warwick do you find mathematical/ short answers easier under exam conditions or were essays easier?
the reason I'm asking is I currently do a scientific degree but am thinking of transferring to economics, but not sure if i would struggle too much
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi

What GCSEs did you take? Surely you wrote essays then ....
Anonymous #1
english was pretty much my only essay subject
chi2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
thank you!
did you/ do you go to Warwick?
i'm alright at maths but will probably find that challenging too at somewhere like warwick do you find mathematical/ short answers easier under exam conditions or were essays easier?
the reason I'm asking is I currently do a scientific degree but am thinking of transferring to economics, but not sure if i would struggle too much
Went to York but did joint maths/econ.

Essays tend to be a bit easier under exam conditions as it's less defined and as long as you know something you can start writing - and hopefully as you write other things will come to your mind! However with the mathsy questions it's a matter of whether you can or can't do it. Thorough prep should avoid this scenario though, so I have tended to score higher in my maths or mathsy econ papers.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by chi2)
Went to York but did joint maths/econ.

Essays tend to be a bit easier under exam conditions as it's less defined and as long as you know something you can start writing - and hopefully as you write other things will come to your mind! However with the mathsy questions it's a matter of whether you can or can't do it. Thorough prep should avoid this scenario though, so I have tended to score higher in my maths or mathsy econ papers.
ok cool thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (75)
16.56%
No one else does (141)
31.13%
I'm embarrassed about my background (51)
11.26%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (157)
34.66%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.55%
I don't have a camera (10)
2.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (12)
2.65%

Watched Threads