amb3r98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm hoping to read human sciences at oxford uni-
I like open green spaces, music rooms, open/characterful/social community-
what college would be best suited to me?
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Since the list of colleges offering HS is quite short, you will have to compromise somewhere. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the availability of practice rooms at any of them, but here is a start

Out are : Harris Manchester (21+ only)
Hertford (has limited green space and in the middle of town)
St Benet’s Hall (ditto)

Otherwise:
Mansfield College (good social mix, near Parks but limited green space in college)
St Hugh's College, St John's College, (bigger gardens than Mansfield but in middle of town)
Wadham College (ditto with reputation for social mix/LGBTQ+ friendly)
Keble College (bigger grounds, close to Parks, groundless prejudice puts me off)
Magdalen College (extensive grounds and Deer Park, reputation for tradition may be offputting)
St Catherine's College (extensive grounds, "modern")

I'd probably plump for St Catz but there's a fair bit of unjustifiable bias in that.
Fear-of-failure
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Check the facilities lists of the colleges. There is a spreadsheet on the oxford website.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by amb3r98)
I'm hoping to read human sciences at oxford uni-
I like open green spaces, music rooms, open/characterful/social community-
what college would be best suited to me?
Please read this chapter about choosing an Oxford college, written by an offer holder.

If you manage to narrow it down, please check if your preferred college offers the human sciences course.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post88379572
EJSand
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Personally I go to Wadham so I might be a tad biased but I do love the place. We have what is said to be the first purpose built music room in Europe and thus Britain's first concert hall, its a great space to practice and there's quite a few concerts on there in the evenings of term time. Our garden is of a good size and you can walk on the grass (except in front quad) which is rather rare for a college. We're also incredibly close to University Parks which is beautiful to walk around. We've also got a reputation for drama and theres quite a few productions on throughout term if that interests you.

Mansfield is similarly close to the park and is very friendly with a strong state school reputation, as I'm not particularly musically inclined myself I don't know how they are with music.

Keble is across the road from both Mansfield and Wadham so very close to the parks as well. They have a lovely theatre that I saw a student play in once.

Magdalen has stunning grounds with a deer park, its further away from the other three but honestly Oxford's so small that you can walk everywhere.

St Hugh's is the furthest out but seems to be a very close knit community.

St Catz has a very different look from other colleges which can be a draw for people wanting something more modern, their 2nd year accommodation is meant to be brilliant but I've never seen it.

Hertford doesn't have much green space on its own but it's located in the middle of the city so there's not too much of a walk either way to the botanic gardens or to University Parks. Everyone I've met from Hertford has been lovely and they have the bridge of Sighs which is a definite plus.

St Benet's Hall is a lot smaller than the others and seems tight knit but I don't know much else about it.

St John's is the richest college and that does come with advantages, apparently students have a certain amount of money they can claim back each year if it's proven to be on academic expenses. They also have relatively cheap meals as they're more subsidised than most.

If you can I'd suggest visiting and taking a look around at some point - it gives you the best feel for the places.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you go to the Oxford 2021 applicants thread I have done a virtual Oxford colleges tour. There are YouTube videos of each college plus the website. The videos will give you an idea of what we are all talking about.

St hilda’s college has it’s own concert hall and is in a tranquil setting next to the river
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
St hilda’s college has it’s own concert hall and is in a tranquil setting next to the river
St Hilda's don't offer Human Sciences though, just those few in Oxfossil's reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.38%

Watched Threads