The Student Room Group

Plymouth vs Bristol

Wonder if anyone can help me, I have an offer from Bristol and Plymouth both for fine art. I had an interview at Plymouth (which I liked) but not at Bristol and I wont be able to visit UWE now due to covid. I feel like bristol is a more exciting place with more opportunities however Plymouth feels like a safer choice as I've been there? Should I take the risk and go to bristol which I haven't visited yet or go with Plymouth? Anyone got any thoughts or advice let me know! X
(edited 3 years ago)
I've been to Bristol a few times- having applied there- and although I loved the city, I was a little underwhelmed by the University. Don't get me wrong, it seemed nice enough, but the accommodation was of a lower standard than that at other similar universities (such as Warwick and York). It also has a reputation for drugs, but tbh you'll find that at most unis. I don't know Plymouth though so I don't want to put you off Bristol! I would recommend looking at virtual tours if you can and talking to current students (I can point you to the relevant threads if necessary). At the end of the day, try to pick the course you like best and don't be afraid to "take the risk"- you can do it!
Hey so I don't know a lot about the courses you've chose but as someone who's lived in Plymouth most her life apart from 1 year I spent in Bristol I feel like I've got some sort of good idea on the cities in general.

Bristol pros:
LOADS of opportunities in the art/media industry, its such an arty city with a little bit for everyone
Brilliant nightlife
Food is awesome everywhere. Bubble tea everywhere
Shopping is better than Plymouth
UBER UBER UBER
Easy transport links to other cities. Very good middle ground.

Bristol cons:
Not a lot of nature really, very industrial
DRUGS EVERYWHERE, LIKE EVERYWHERE
Don't rely on the buses, they're awful.
Accent is bleh
Traffic ALL THE TIME

Plymouth pros:
Sea, Moors and City. A Bit of every landscape and beautiful views at each bit
Very safe crime wise compared to Bristol
Huge range of student accommodation spread around city
Lush little independent shops/cafes. Hugely recommend Hangry
Independent Student lets for student houses are SO CHEAP compared to Bristol

Plymouth cons
Locals can be ew
nightlife isn't as good as Bristol (but a lot of all night/late night bars)
weather is unpredictable and the wind can be awful being so close to coast
If you want a part time job during studies, Bristol may be the better one there

I know a bit of knowledge on UWE in general and University of Plymouth in general too (unfortunately not Plymouth College of Art though :frown:) so if there are any directed questions to either of those I can help. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lucemorris
Hey so I don't know a lot about the courses you've chose but as someone who's lived in Plymouth most her life apart from 1 year I spent in Bristol I feel like I've got some sort of good idea on the cities in general.

Bristol pros:
LOADS of opportunities in the art/media industry, its such an arty city with a little bit for everyone
Brilliant nightlife
Food is awesome everywhere. Bubble tea everywhere
Shopping is better than Plymouth
UBER UBER UBER
Easy transport links to other cities. Very good middle ground.

Bristol cons:
Not a lot of nature really, very industrial
DRUGS EVERYWHERE, LIKE EVERYWHERE
Don't rely on the buses, they're awful.
Accent is bleh
Traffic ALL THE TIME

Plymouth pros:
Sea, Moors and City. A Bit of every landscape and beautiful views at each bit
Very safe crime wise compared to Bristol
Huge range of student accommodation spread around city
Lush little independent shops/cafes. Hugely recommend Hangry
Independent Student lets for student houses are SO CHEAP compared to Bristol

Plymouth cons
Locals can be ew
nightlife isn't as good as Bristol (but a lot of all night/late night bars)
weather is unpredictable and the wind can be awful being so close to coast
If you want a part time job during studies, Bristol may be the better one there

I know a bit of knowledge on UWE in general and University of Plymouth in general too (unfortunately not Plymouth College of Art though :frown:) so if there are any directed questions to either of those I can help. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!! Hope this helps :smile:

Hey man im trying t decide between Bristol uni and plymouth for geology as i might go to plymouth for onw ear and transfer to my second year or i might take a gap year and go to Bristol instead what would you decide?
Original post by W_v
Hey man im trying t decide between Bristol uni and plymouth for geology as i might go to plymouth for onw ear and transfer to my second year or i might take a gap year and go to Bristol instead what would you decide?

There is generally a BIG difference between Bristol University and UWE. The OP was talking about UWE. They are of course both in Bristol the city. So do you mean Bristol Uni or UWE?
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
There is generally a BIG difference between Bristol University and UWE. The OP was talking about UWE. They are of course both in Bristol the city. So do you mean Bristol Uni or UWE?

Uni of Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest