As.1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Please refer to the attachment.
The answer is A.
Is there an easy way to do this question, because I find it hard to visualise the sides since they are at an angle when you form the hexagonal package.
Also, I couldn't quite get why the answer was A. I am okay with the second box in A but not the first box.
Attached files
Last edited by As.1997; 5 months ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by As.1997)
Please refer to the attachment.
The answer is A.
Is there an easy way to do this question, because I find it hard to visualise the sides since they are at an angle when you form the hexagonal package.
Also, I couldn't quite get why the answer was A. I am okay with the second box in A but not the first box.
To start you need to realise what you're looking at.

The two squares in the answer represent two adjacent sides that are facing your.

In each of the two "squares" in any given answer the larger shape is cut out of the side facing you, and the part inner shape is cut out of the side you're seeing when you look into the hexagon.

You may be tempted to think that you're looking directly through the hexaxon, but that is not the case. It's easiest to show on a diagram, so:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  47.0 KB

So, the two outer shapes are adjacent, and the two inner shapes are adjacent. Also, we can see that each inner shape is two positions clockwise or anticlockwise to its outer shape.

So,

Spoiler:
Show

Considering adjacent outer shapes we can eliminate E.

Considering adjacent inner shapes we can eliminate D and B.

Then we can eliminate C as the horizontal rectangle isn't two positions away from the up/down pointing triangle (I allow down as the two squares may be upside down in the answer, although they're not in this question.) Nor is the diamond two positions away from the square. Either observation is enough to eliminate C.

This just leaves A. The side pointing triangle is next to the square, and the diamond is two to the left of the side pointing triangle, whilst the vertical rectangle is two to the right of the square.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 5 months ago
As.1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
To start you need to realise what you're looking at.

The two squares in the answer represent two adjacent sides that are facing your.

In each of the two "squares" in any given answer the larger shape is cut out of the side facing you, and the part inner shape is cut out of the side you're seeing when you look into the hexagon.

You may be tempted to think that you're looking directly through the hexaxon, but that is not the case. It's easiest to show on a diagram, so:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  47.0 KB

So, the two outer shapes are adjacent, and the two inner shapes are adjacent. Also, we can see that each inner shape is two positions clockwise or anticlockwise to its outer shape.

So,

Spoiler:
Show

Considering adjacent outer shapes we can eliminate E.

Considering adjacent inner shapes we can eliminate D and B.

Then we can eliminate C as the horizontal rectangle isn't two positions away from the up/down pointing triangle (I allow down as the two squares may be upside down in the answer, although they're not in this question.) Nor is the diamond two positions away from the square. Either observation is enough to eliminate C.

This just leaves A. The side pointing triangle is next to the square, and the diamond is two to the left of the side pointing triangle, whilst the vertical rectangle is two to the right of the square.
That makes sense. Thank you.
In case your interested, the mistake I made after reading your fantastic explanation was, I thought the inner shape for the left-pointing triangle was the up-pointing triangle because I counted 2 in the wrong direction. Instead, the inner shape is the diamond.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.8%
I'm not sure (16)
3.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (150)
33.63%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (206)
46.19%

Watched Threads