The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Reserve List for Physics. University of Edinburgh.

After waiting quite a bit of time to receive a reply from Edinburgh, I've been told that I've been placed in a reserve list.
Depending on how many people reject their application or don't meet the requirements, I *might* be offered a place in mid-August.
Anyone in a similar situation? What are the odds that places become available? Has anyone got some experience with this?
Any comments/advice much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I just got the exact same answer as you for physics (F303) literally 10 minutes ago. Are you an EU student?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by mishonka
Hey, I just got the exact same answer as you for physics (F303) literally 10 minutes ago. Are you an EU student?

Yes! I'm from Spain. What about you?
I'm thinking of writing to the Admissions Team asking them if it's common for places for Physics to become available. Hopefully I'm not being too naïve...
Reply 3
Yeah, I'm from France!
I was thinking of doing the same, I don't think it's very naïve. If you actually write to them, could you by any chance post the answer in here? I'd also like to know. Thanks!
BTW everyone in my school who has applied to Edinburgh (i.e. very good students) has been put on reserve list, I think it's because they have to restrict EU places.
I just got the same email as well (EU physics applicant here) and I’m so confused??? did they place everyone who got rejected in the reserve list or only a number of people?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I think it's only the people who could get in, but are EU students
Reply 6
Original post by melikeyou
I just got the same email as well (EU physics applicant here) and I’m so confused??? did they place everyone who got rejected in the reserve list or only a number of people?

From what I understand, there is quite a substantial difference between being rejected and being placed in the "reserve list".
The first reply in this (oldie) reddit thread makes some good points: https://www.reddit.com/r/UniUK/comments/b4np8b/university_of_edinburgh_waiting_list/
Reply 7
Original post by mishonka
Yeah, I'm from France!
I was thinking of doing the same, I don't think it's very naïve. If you actually write to them, could you by any chance post the answer in here? I'd also like to know. Thanks!
BTW everyone in my school who has applied to Edinburgh (i.e. very good students) has been put on reserve list, I think it's because they have to restrict EU places.

Yes of course! I've already written to them, I'll keep everyone posted on anything they say.
Reply 8
Are the people from your school also applying for Physics?
Guys, would you mind sharing your existing or predicted grades? My friend got rejected, and I'm really curious whether its our grades that made difference or it was something else. Thanks a million!
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Guys, would you mind sharing your existing or predicted grades? My friend got rejected, and I'm really curious whether its our grades that made difference or it was something else. Thanks a million!

Predicted Grades:
Final year Physics: 10
Final year Maths: 10
Final year Biology: 10
Final year overall: 9.5
Overall predicted grade (years 1 and 2): 9.55

Have you been placed on the reserve list as well?
Reply 11
Hey! I have also received a response today and have been put on the waiting list for Biological sciences (ecology). I’m from France and received 17,6/20 (A-A* average) in my exam including the equivalent of A*A*A* in maths, physics/chemistry and biology/geology. A friend of mine (from my class) applied to Edinburgh last year for computer science with the same predicted grades as mine but got rejected without even being put on the reserve list. So hopefully it is because of insufficient funding and that places will be made available for all of us🤞🏻
I have 18.5/20 (A*) predictive average and A*A*A* (maths, physics, further maths). My PS is top-notch according to everyone I've spoken to. The issue is restriction on EU students because of the funding...
I received a decision today that I’ve been rejected and placed in reserve list too. I applied for applied mathematics programme though, but it’s in the same science and engineering college so I guess we’re on the same boat :smile:However I don’t know anything about what this all means, trying to figure it out myself too :smile:
Original post by piolin
Predicted Grades:
Final year Physics: 10
Final year Maths: 10
Final year Biology: 10
Final year overall: 9.5
Overall predicted grade (years 1 and 2): 9.55

Have you been placed on the reserve list as well?

I got a conditional offer (AAA), my predicted A levels are A*A*A (math, further math, physics). He got rejected (no reserve list) with A*AA. But we both are international, non-EU. Since we have to pay the full price, apparently things are easier for us.
Reply 15
Yeah, I also have been waitlisted (for general engineering). A few of my friends got a waitlist too, so that's why I'm assuming that it's quite a common thing to receive a rejection with a waitlist.
I just got a reply for my Mechanical Engineering saying I’ve been put on a reserve list. This is really tripping me out with the clearing and other choices.
Hi , I'm from France and I applied for physics F300. I was also put on the reserve list, so I sent them an email and this what they answered me today:

this is a Reserve List (and not a waiting list) so there will be no change with regard to the list before the 13th August 2020 and we will not be contacting applicants on this list you should check the website and contact us on the 13th August. The Reserve List is a pool of very good candidates who lost out on receiving an offer due to competition for places and who we would be very happy to consider for a place if there are any vacancies that arise once our offer-holders have their results. This will be dealt with on the 13th August. There is no ranking on the Reserve List.
Reply 18
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/split_of_admission_statistics_be#incoming-1345412
This can shed some light on the vast number of rejections EU applicants have been receiving lately. It is specifying the number of offers both Scotland and EU students have received for several consecutive years. The difference between the Scottish and the EU offer rate is staggering. the data is for St. Andrews but I believe the same applies to Edinburgh, too.
Reply 19
Original post by Gafan
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/split_of_admission_statistics_be#incoming-1345412
This can shed some light on the vast number of rejections EU applicants have been receiving lately. It is specifying the number of offers both Scotland and EU students have received for several consecutive years. The difference between the Scottish and the EU offer rate is staggering. the data is for St. Andrews but I believe the same applies to Edinburgh, too.

Yeah, that's totally shocking... Edinburgh offers some statistics on their website, but not as detailed. I'll leave the link down here if anyone is interested.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending