The Student Room Group

A-level Tudor history quick question

Hello,
I'm just doing a Seneca course of The Tudors: England 1485-1603 about Henry VII and Seneca has written a sentence really weird. Seneca says: "Margaret Beaufort, Jasper Tudor, the Earl of Oxford, John Morton and Richard Fox were his closest confidants."

Is the Earl of Oxford John Morton or is it just referring to a different person? Is the sentence referring to 5 people or 4 people? Basically who was the Earl of Oxford during the reign of Henry VII?
Thanks in advance.
earl of oxford was John de Vere,
john morton was archbishop of Canterbury i believe,
Original post by originalbiscotti
earl of oxford was John de Vere,
john morton was archbishop of Canterbury i believe,

Thank you, so presumably Seneca just hasn't included the name of the Earl of Oxford and just referred to him as such?
Reply 3
Original post by TheHistoryNerd_
Hello,
I'm just doing a Seneca course of The Tudors: England 1485-1603 about Henry VII and Seneca has written a sentence really weird. Seneca says: "Margaret Beaufort, Jasper Tudor, the Earl of Oxford, John Morton and Richard Fox were his closest confidants."

Is the Earl of Oxford John Morton or is it just referring to a different person? Is the sentence referring to 5 people or 4 people? Basically who was the Earl of Oxford during the reign of Henry VII?
Thanks in advance.

Just did a quick Google because I'm unfamiliar with this part of The Tudors. The Earl of Oxford during Henry VII's reign was John de Vere (13th Earl of Oxford). I agree that Seneca has worded the sentence poorly which isn't helpful.
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Just did a quick Google because I'm unfamiliar with this part of The Tudors. The Earl of Oxford during Henry VII's reign was John de Vere (13th Earl of Oxford). I agree that Seneca has worded the sentence poorly which isn't helpful.

Thanks, it doesn't help that everyone seemed to have the same name back in those days haha.

Quick Reply

Latest