TheHistoryNerd_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,
I'm just doing a Seneca course of The Tudors: England 1485-1603 about Henry VII and Seneca has written a sentence really weird. Seneca says: "Margaret Beaufort, Jasper Tudor, the Earl of Oxford, John Morton and Richard Fox were his closest confidants."

Is the Earl of Oxford John Morton or is it just referring to a different person? Is the sentence referring to 5 people or 4 people? Basically who was the Earl of Oxford during the reign of Henry VII?
Thanks in advance.
originalbiscotti
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
earl of oxford was John de Vere,
john morton was archbishop of Canterbury i believe,
TheHistoryNerd_
Rep:
?
(Original post by originalbiscotti)
earl of oxford was John de Vere,
john morton was archbishop of Canterbury i believe,
Thank you, so presumably Seneca just hasn't included the name of the Earl of Oxford and just referred to him as such?
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TheHistoryNerd_)
Hello,
I'm just doing a Seneca course of The Tudors: England 1485-1603 about Henry VII and Seneca has written a sentence really weird. Seneca says: "Margaret Beaufort, Jasper Tudor, the Earl of Oxford, John Morton and Richard Fox were his closest confidants."

Is the Earl of Oxford John Morton or is it just referring to a different person? Is the sentence referring to 5 people or 4 people? Basically who was the Earl of Oxford during the reign of Henry VII?
Thanks in advance.
Just did a quick Google because I'm unfamiliar with this part of The Tudors. The Earl of Oxford during Henry VII's reign was John de Vere (13th Earl of Oxford). I agree that Seneca has worded the sentence poorly which isn't helpful.
TheHistoryNerd_
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Just did a quick Google because I'm unfamiliar with this part of The Tudors. The Earl of Oxford during Henry VII's reign was John de Vere (13th Earl of Oxford). I agree that Seneca has worded the sentence poorly which isn't helpful.
Thanks, it doesn't help that everyone seemed to have the same name back in those days haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (187)
33.33%
Receiving them online / by email (281)
50.09%
I still don't know (93)
16.58%

Watched Threads