The Student Room Group

Applying for maths at Oxford?

If I apply to do maths at Oxford, do I need to have achieved highly in the BMO (qualifying for the Olympiad etc) and have done A-level maths early etc? I guess what I’m trying to say is that maths is one of those things that some people are just freakishly good at, so would I need to be like them? Or is it just ‘normal’ people who love maths?
I’d say probably a bit of both. Oxford has students from all walks of life. Some of which you might call stereotypical geniuses and others who just have an immense passion and ability for their subject. I know a few people who have gone on to study maths at Oxford. A few of them took A level maths early so that they could concentrate on A level further maths in their A level year but others have a what you would call ‘normal’ progression through A levels and just have a gift. I’d say if you’re passionate about your subject and have a real ability it’s definitely worth a shot. Oxford admissions consider all backgrounds so you would really be in no position of disadvantage if you haven’t taken maths early or qualified for the Olympiad etc as they understand not everyone has the same opportunities to do this kind of thing.
Reply 3
Original post by 2schoolforcool
If I apply to do maths at Oxford, do I need to have achieved highly in the BMO (qualifying for the Olympiad etc) and have done A-level maths early etc? I guess what I’m trying to say is that maths is one of those things that some people are just freakishly good at, so would I need to be like them? Or is it just ‘normal’ people who love maths?

No there's no need to have done any competitions. Most Oxford maths students, enjoy their subject (perhaps not 100% of it), enjoy its challenge, get their grades fairly comfortably and have done some extension work to stretch themselves. e.g. STEP, reading around, NRICH, online videos, etc. Have you looked at the Oxford departmental prospectus?

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/prospectus

There's also a virtual maths open day this Saturday.

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/open-days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending