Is this a good selection of a levels?

Watch
The-judge-16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Biology, chemistry and sociology?

I’m planning on doing pharmacy or biomedical science at university. Also is sociology a level easy, and what is it about?

My GCSEs are: 65555444 (6-5 combined science, 4 in English language) would sociology be a good choice with these GCSE results?
As you can see English language was one of my lowest so I’m unsure whether to do sociology?
Export kid
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It depends what you're looking to do after your A levels. And what other subjects would you consider doing at A level, phycology or maths goes very well with those 2 sciences but it all depends on what you're good at and what you want to do
CharlotteSalf
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Sociology at A level is a lot of theory work and essay writing. It’s certainly not easy, I know people who did badly in Sociology and well in many other subjects such as Maths, Biology, History etc. So what is “easy” depends entirely on the way you personally work. If you aren’t very good at English and essay writing, my guess would be that Sociology is not ideal for you. However, with a lot of work and effort, Sociology is a very interesting and very valuable and enjoyable A Level, in my personal opinion! & anything you set your mind to and work hard in, you should succeed
Keir Starmer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by The-judge-16)

I’m planning on doing pharmacy or biomedical science at university. Also is sociology a level easy, and what is it about?

My GCSEs are: 65555444 (6-5 combined science, 4 in English language) would sociology be a good choice with these GCSE results?
As you can see English language was one of my lowest so I’m unsure whether to do sociology?
If you do A levels in Bio, Chem and Sociology, what sort of grades are u looking to get
CharlotteSalf
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you look at it this way, Science and Maths require logic. Essay based subjects require creative thinking and personal judgement. Weigh up your own strengths and weaknesses! Psychology is more quantitative than Sociology so if you enjoy Maths and Science better than English, this may be a good choice! & to answer the initial question, if those A Levels fulfil the criteria you need to do those courses at University, there is no right or wrong answer, all you need is the course specific subjects and the grades I hope this helps!
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Why are you posting so many threads about this?
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by proudmonkey)
If you do A levels in Bio, Chem and Sociology, what sort of grades are u looking to get
Hopefully ABB?
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Why are you posting so many threads about this?
Currently I am in the process of transferring sixth forms, and I’m completely unsure what third a level to take.
Odyson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hopefully ABB?
you will have to work very hard to do well in the science a levels, there very hard and you'll have to apply yourself!
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Odyson)
you will have to work very hard to do well in the science a levels, there very hard and you'll have to apply yourself!
I know, thanks for your advice. I will probably be revising for at least 3-4 hours a day
ellabella_t
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
maths instead of sociology sounds like a better combo. Most unis require maths in any science degree.
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellabella_t)
maths instead of sociology sounds like a better combo. Most unis require maths in any science degree.
I wish I could do maths, however no sixth form will let me as I only have a 5 at GCSE.
Vapordave
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I wish I could do maths, however no sixth form will let me as I only have a 5 at GCSE.
Without maths you can't really do sciences at university though. Have you thought about re-doing Maths GCSE?
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveological)
Without maths you can't really do sciences at university though. Have you thought about re-doing Maths GCSE?
That is a possibility I suppose, it’s just that I’d have to then start year 12 in 2021.
e2002!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You definitely can do sciences at uni without A level maths. If you did engineering eg ofcourse you need maths then but for a biology degree or many chemistry degrees you wouldn’t *need* maths. Medicine degrees don’t even require maths.
Vapordave
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That is a possibility I suppose, it’s just that I’d have to then start year 12 in 2021.
I'm wrong actually. Keele for example will take students without Maths A-level.
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
I'm wrong actually. Keele for example will take students without Maths A-level.
Oh ok, that’s promising then! Plus the workload doing bio, chem and maths will be ridiculous so I’m probably better off not doing it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (659)
33.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (839)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.44%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads