I know no one going to my university of choice, what do I do?

Watch
Barkerino
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey, I don’t even know if this is a good place to put this but i’m going to Bristol UWE this year and I have no clue if i’m going to struggle to make friends or not and i’m fairly shy at the start then i’m fine but it’s just all daunting to me so any advice?! Anyone in the same boat? Thanks!
dxnixl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Wait... people go to universities with their sixth form friends?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Barkerino)
Hey, I don’t even know if this is a good place to put this but i’m going to Bristol UWE this year and I have no clue if i’m going to struggle to make friends or not and i’m fairly shy at the start then i’m fine but it’s just all daunting to me so any advice?! Anyone in the same boat? Thanks!
95% of people will be in the same position as you
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
Go onto Facebook and search up the group. Pretty much all, if not every, university has an applicant group on there. If you're not signed up to Facebook, then I simply advise you make an account to interact.
Barkerino
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
Wait... people go to universities with their sixth form friends?
All of my friends decided to got the same one but I didn’t want to just go to one just to be with them I wanted to go to one that was better for me personally, but yeah quite a few people in my year have done that!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
All of my friends decided to got the same one but I didn’t want to just go to one just to be with them I wanted to go to one that was better for me personally, but yeah quite a few people in my year have done that!
They're the weird ones
Unless they're in the same course, they're not actually going to see that much of each other even if they are at the same university.

But yeah I understand that it can seem daunting, best bet is to look for applicant group chats
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Bar local unis - more or less everyone from my sixth form went to different unis. (no-one else went to my uni, and most people from my sixth form were in the same position) Unless you go to a huge school, this is pretty usual. You can make friends in halls, in societies, tutorials, hanging out after lectures, etc.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi Barkerino!

I'm sure about 98% of people won't know anyone there either so you will all be in the same boat! I know it's hard making friends at first but (I know it's easier said than done) you just really have to try your best in letting your guard down and putting yourself out there. It does get easier! Are you living in halls? If so, see if there is a Facebook group for your halls and see if you can connect with any of your flat mates. Also when you get to Uni, really try to put in effort in nurturing friendships such as planning to go to the library with people, inviting people over for dinner, inviting people over for pres/a night out etc. Most people will be so happy to get these kind of invites as mostly everyone struggles at the beginning with making friends.

I hope this advice helps and best of luck! You can do it

Erin - Official Student Rep
Elliec12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I didn't know anyone either when I started in September. I felt more comfortable by talking to people who were going to the uni and going to be on my course before hand, meeting them in WhatsApp groupchats and facebook pages. Also, even if you don't get along with your flatmates well it's really easy to make friends by joining sports and societies. And don't forget, everyone else is in the same position as you
tylacozens
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hi! what are you studying?
Jiiny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’m going to UWE starting September as well and I don’t know anyone I’m really shy as well but it’s pretty normal to be scared and not know anyone at first honestly so don’t worry. My brothers in his last year at UWE and in his first year he struggled a bit to find people he clicked with but now he has a group of friends he considers his second family.
tylacozens
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi! What are you studying?
gullkatt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm going to UWE in September for English Language and Linguistics! What halls have you applied for? And don't worry about not knowing anyone, like everyone else has said, most people will be in exactly the same boat and will be more than willing to make friends!
honeynghost
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I am from Malaysia, might be going to UWE Year 2 Illustration ( mature student with working experience). But honestly I am nervous af of going back to study and I will be older than most student + being an international. I know zero people in UWE/Bristol. So I guess I will fake it till I make it, I am not good at socializing but I hope I can makes genuine friends there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (328)
55.69%
I don't have everything I need (261)
44.31%

Watched Threads