Aspirin for strokes and heart attacks, they prevent clots but don’t dissolve them?

Watch
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
When a patient is given Aspirin after a stroke how do Doctors dissolve existing clots because Aspirin only prevents new blood clots forming but Aspirin does not actually dissolve existing clots in the blood stream.
E51
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fibrinolytics.
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by E51)
Fibrinolytics.
Thanks.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
When a patient is given Aspirin after a stroke how do Doctors dissolve existing clots because Aspirin only prevents new blood clots forming but Aspirin does not actually dissolve existing clots in the blood stream.
(Original post by E51)
Fibrinolytics.
Yes for stroke thrombolysis is the most common currently, but thrombectomy is the better way of removing a clot if your hospital has it and your patient is eligible.

https://www.stroke.org.uk/what-is-st...arge/treatment

Thrombolysis

Some people with ischaemic stroke are eligible for a clot-busting drug. The drug aims to disperse the clot and return the blood supply to your brain.
The medicine itself is called alteplase, or recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (rt-PA). The process of giving this medicine is known as thrombolysis.
Thrombolysis can break down and disperse a clot that is preventing blood from reaching your brain.

Thrombectomy

Thrombectomy is a treatment that physically removes a clot from the brain. It usually involves inserting a mesh device into an artery in your groin, moving it up to the brain, and pulling the clot out. It only works with people where the blood clot is in a large artery. Like thrombolysis, it has to be carried out within hours of a stroke starting. Only a small proportion of stroke cases are eligible for thrombectomy but it can have a big impact on those people by reducing disability.

Similarly for heart attacks the best method of treatment is also removal of the clot and insertion of a stent, if possible.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronary-angioplasty/

A coronary angioplasty is a procedure used to widen blocked or narrowed coronary arteries (the main blood vessels supplying the heart).

The term "angioplasty" means using a balloon to stretch open a narrowed or blocked artery. However, most modern angioplasty procedures also involve inserting a short wire-mesh tube, called a stent, into the artery during the procedure. The stent is left in place permanently to allow blood to flow more freely.
Coronary angioplasty is sometimes known as percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA). The combination of coronary angioplasty with stenting is usually referred to as percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI).
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads