If resources are plentiful, how does Intraspecific competition exist ?

Watch
lhh2003
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Take a rabbit population,

If space and food are plentiful, then each rabbit has more than it needs to survive and it can successfully reproduce at an increased rate.

So the population size goes up, and so on, until resources are not in excess.

At this point, the population starts to decrease as some organisms miss out.

But why does my textbook say that there is infraspecific competition for resources even when the resources are well in excess (I understand why it might start to occur when the resources are only slightly in excess, but surely it is effectively non-existent when just as the curve starts to increase from the carrying capacity ?
Ensorcell
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Textbooks generally simplify things and in an exam you’ll have to assume there is a limit on the number of resources, or else it would be a very complicated question. Also, there’s a difference between access to resources and abundance of resources - e.g. if a population of rabbits all live in burrows along one hedgerow, they’ll still be competing for the resources closest to home so they don’t have to travel as far and leave their young for as long.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (41)
21.03%
Excited but a bit nervous (89)
45.64%
Not bothered either way (27)
13.85%
I'm really nervous (38)
19.49%

Watched Threads