The Student Room Group

Confused about the syllabus for the different GCSE Science "types" and the IGCSE.

Hello,

I wanted to know whether the "Core" and "Extended" options offered at IGCSE are available if someone is studying for GCSE?

(1) I particularly wanted to know whether this Extended syllabus is related to the Double/Triple Science (where 2/3 GCSEs are awarded)?

(2) I am an outsider and am completely unaware of this system. I have tried to find about this on the internet but did not get any correlation between the IGCSE Extended curriculum and the Double/Triple Science GCSE.

(3) How is it determined how much syllabus is there for Double/Triple/Single Combined Science GCSE award? I can only find that there is a Core and an Extended.

PS: I know that I might have completely misunderstood this whole thing. I want someone to correct me where I might have gone wrong.

Thank you and Kind regards.
Reply 1
Where are you in the world?

GCSEs
In England the system is the same for GCSE for the AQA, Edexcel, Eduqas and OCR exam boards. You can take GCSE Combined Science which is the size of 2 GCSEs and gives you a double grade, e.g. 8-7. It contains 2/3 of the content from each of Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSEs. Alternatively you can take one or more of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. These are 3 completely separate GCSEs. (These are often referred to as separate Sciences as each Science is a separate GCSE). There is no combined Science option that is a single GCSE size.

IGCSEs
Pearson Edexcel have a Science IGCSE, a Science (Double Award) GCSE which gets you 2 grades and the 3 separate Sciences - Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I don't know about CAIE.

People often talk about 'extended' meaning the extra bit of Biology/Chemistry/Physics that would would need to study to learn the whole content for Biology/Chemistry/Physics when you already know the content for Combined Science/Science(Double Award).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jay71483
Hello,

I wanted to know whether the "Core" and "Extended" options offered at IGCSE are available if someone is studying for GCSE?

(1) I particularly wanted to know whether this Extended syllabus is related to the Double/Triple Science (where 2/3 GCSEs are awarded)?

(2) I am an outsider and am completely unaware of this system. I have tried to find about this on the internet but did not get any correlation between the IGCSE Extended curriculum and the Double/Triple Science GCSE.

(3) How is it determined how much syllabus is there for Double/Triple/Single Combined Science GCSE award? I can only find that there is a Core and an Extended.

PS: I know that I might have completely misunderstood this whole thing. I want someone to correct me where I might have gone wrong.

Thank you and Kind regards.

Core/ Extended refers to the difficulty of the exam:
Core IGCSE = foundation tier GCSE
Extended IGCSE = higher tier GCSE

The name of the GCSE/ IGCSE refers to the size/ breadth of the qualification:
GCSE Combined Sciences = IGCSE Co-ordinated science WORTH 2 GCSE'S
GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics = IGCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics they are taken as seperate qualifications, when they are all taken its known as 'triple science' and would be worth 3 GCSE'S

Any IGCSE/ GCSE subject that you want to study at A-Level must be taken at extended level.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you @Compost and @glassalice!

@Compost I live in India.

(1) So "extended" is the extra topics that you study for sitting any of the Science GCSEs independently or for Triple Science (that is all the 3 independent science GCSEs), am I right?

(2) And "core" covers the syllabus for Combined Science (which leads to 2 GCSEs), am I right?

(3) IGCSE textbooks have clear distinction in what's core and what's extended. Is it so in the GCSE textbooks as well (that is what's core and what's extended)?

Thank you once again!
Thank you @Compost and @glassalice!

@Compost I live in India.

(1) So "extended" is the extra topics that you study for sitting any of the Science GCSEs independently or for Triple Science (that is all the 3 independent science GCSEs), am I right?

(2) And "core" covers the syllabus for Combined Science (which leads to 2 GCSEs), am I right?

(3) IGCSE textbooks have clear distinction in what's core and what's extended. Is it so in the GCSE textbooks as well (that is what's core and what's extended)?

Thank you once again!

No! @Compost is wrong!

Extended means harder paper- you can achieve upto a grade A*
Core means easier paper- you are capped at achieving a grade C

The subject name coordinated science IGCSE means it is worth 2 gcses regardless of whether you take it at core or extended level
Triple science Biology IGCSE, Chemistry IGCSE and Physics IGCSE are taken as indervidual, separate qualifications. If you took all 3 regardless of if you take them at core or extend, it would be worth 3 GCSE'S.
However as explained earlier, if you are taking 'core' IGCSE biology you can only ever achieve a maximum of grade 'C'. If you are taking the 'extended' syllabus you may achieve a maximum grade of A*.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by glassalice
No! @Compost is wrong!
Extended means harder paper- you can achieve upto a grade A*
Core means easier paper- you are capped at achieving a grade C

Thanks glassalice for the correction.

So core is for those who are predicted to perform average (grade C or below) while extended gives opportunity to more able students (who can secure A*-E) to be tested rigorously. I hope this is right?

That is crystal clear. But the confusion that remains now (to me) is that what exactly is this "2/3rd" content of the Combined Science? What is the full content and how is the 2/3rd content determined. [I previously confused the Core+Extended as full content and just Core as 2/3rd].

Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks glassalice for the correction.

So core is for those who are predicted to perform average (grade C or below) while extended gives opportunity to more able students (who can secure A*-E) to be tested rigorously. I hope this is right?

That is crystal clear. But the confusion that remains now (to me) is that what exactly is this "2/3rd" content of the Combined Science? What is the full content and how is the 2/3rd content determined. [I previously confused the Core+Extended as full content and just Core as 2/3rd].

Thank you

So as co-ordinated science is worth 2 IGCSE and 'triple science' is worth 3, it only follows that co-ordinated science has 2/3's of the content that a full 'triple' qualification would follow.
Imagine biology, chemistry and physics each divided into 3.
If you the first third of each subject you would achieve IGCSE Combined Science (worth one GCSE)
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-science-combined-0653/
If you where to take the first two thirds of each subject you would achieve IGCSE Coordinated Science worth 2 GCSE's
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-sciences-co-ordinated-double-0654/
If you where to take each whole subject you would achieve IGCSE biology, IGCSE Chemistry and IGCSE physics
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-biology-0610/
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-chemistry-0620/
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-physics-0625/
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
If you're in India then forget about GCSEs completely - they aren't available in India - and they will only confuse you (as the different use of Core and Extended in different places shows). From your questions I'm pretty sure you're asking about CAIE (Cambridge) IGCSEs about which I know very little and I would recommend just taking what @glassalice says.
Reply 8
So as co-ordinated science is worth 2 IGCSE and 'triple science' is worth 3, it only follows that co-ordinated science has 2/3's of the content that a full 'triple' qualification would follow.
Imagine biology, chemistry and physics each divided into 3.
If you the first third of each subject you would achieve IGCSE Combined Science (worth one GCSE)
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-science-combined-0653/
If you where to take the first two thirds of each subject you would achieve IGCSE Coordinated Science worth 2 GCSE's
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-sciences-co-ordinated-double-0654/
If you where to take each whole subject you would achieve IGCSE biology, IGCSE Chemistry and IGCSE physics
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-biology-0610/
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-chemistry-0620/
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-physics-0625/

I am sorry glassalice for the late reply.

Thank you so much! I get it now. Moreover I have found one textbook that has clear boundaries about who's studying which syllabus (Combined or Coordinated and core or extended).

With your help it has become absolutely clear in my mind.

Best wishes.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
If you're in India then forget about GCSEs completely - they aren't available in India - and they will only confuse you (as the different use of Core and Extended in different places shows). From your questions I'm pretty sure you're asking about CAIE (Cambridge) IGCSEs about which I know very little and I would recommend just taking what @glassalice says.

I am not asking particularly about CAIE, but you're right, CAIE has a massive presence in India compared to other boards.

My queries are solved by glassalice's help. Thank you Compost for participating in this discussion!
I am not asking particularly about CAIE, but you're right, CAIE has a massive presence in India compared to other boards.

My queries are solved by glassalice's help. Thank you Compost for participating in this discussion!

I just thought I should let you know, the answers I have given you are specific to CIE.

Edexcel's IGCSE'S are completely different to CIE IGCSE's. Edexcel don't have core/ extended content. Their exams (for science) are untiered- you can get any grade (9-1) on them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
I just thought I should let you know, the answers I have given you are specific to CIE.

Edexcel's IGCSE'S are completely different to CIE IGCSE's. Edexcel don't have core/ extended content. Their exams (for science) are untiered- you can get any grade (9-1) on them.

Good to know. I just wanted to know the "generality of this" or how it works generally. I am myself a university student, and this was just a curiosity about how the system is, in England. English school-level qualifications are considerably different and flexible than what we have in India. It is a good idea really to keep separate papers (core and extended) depending on the student's ability especially when they do not intend to pursue the subject at A-level.
Good to know. I just wanted to know the "generality of this" or how it works generally. I am myself a university student, and this was just a curiosity about how the system is, in England. English school-level qualifications are considerably different and flexible than what we have in India. It is a good idea really to keep separate papers (core and extended) depending on the student's ability especially when they do not intend to pursue the subject at A-level.

In England GCSEs have retained Foundation and Higher Tiers (Core and Extended in your parlance) in only a few subjects - primarily Maths, Sciences and languages - as they felt they could not create a single exam that tested the full ability range in these subjects.
Reply 13
Original post by Compost
In England GCSEs have retained Foundation and Higher Tiers (Core and Extended in your parlance) in only a few subjects - primarily Maths, Sciences and languages - as they felt they could not create a single exam that tested the full ability range in these subjects.

:yy:

Quick Reply

Latest