The-judge-16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Greenwich, Essex, east anglia, Kent, queen Mary university of London and St. George’s university.
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
I’d probably say Queen Mary University of London is the best out of those options, what are your opinions?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The-judge-16)
I’d probably say Queen Mary University of London is the best out of those options, what are your opinions?
Stating the subject and predicted / achieved 'A' level grades will get you more informed answers. However, it's also down to which course and environment you prefer.
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Stating the subject and predicted / achieved 'A' level grades will get you more informed answers. However, it's also down to which course and environment you prefer.
A levels - biology, chemistry and sociology. Hoping for at least BBB
Degrees - biology, biomedical science, chemistry or pharmacy?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Greenwich, Essex, east anglia, Kent, queen Mary university of London and St. George’s university.
East Anglia, Queen Mary, Kent, Essex, Greenwich/St George's but dont decide where to go on that. Look into the course and whether you prefer somewhere in a big city or an out of town campus university.
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
East Anglia, Queen Mary, Kent, Essex, Greenwich/St George's but dont decide where to go on that. Look into the course and whether you prefer somewhere in a big city or an out of town campus university.
Thank you for your advice 🙏
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
St George's (it's a medical school, no?)
East Anglia
Queen Mary (in terms of academic rep, in terms of experience/where i'd like to study i'd put it buttom)
Kent
Greenwich
Essex
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
St George's (it's a medical school, no?)
East Anglia
Queen Mary (in terms of academic rep, in terms of experience/where i'd like to study i'd put it buttom)
Kent
Greenwich
Essex
St. George’s is a medical school, they offer biomedical science which I was looking to apply for.
money-for-all
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Queen Mary > Kent > St Georges > UEA > Essex.

In my opinion, that's the general reputation.
But I don't know the reputation for these uni's in biology.

Good luck mate
dking2001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would you prefer a campus uni? Kent , Essex and UEA will be very different experiences to the others. Whether that is 'better' depends upon what you are after as a university experience.
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by money-for-all)
Queen Mary > Kent > St Georges > UEA > Essex.

In my opinion, that's the general reputation.
But I don't know the reputation for these uni's in biology.

Good luck mate
Thanks 🙏
Yeah I was also thinking Queen Mary would be the best as it’s a Russel group uni.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
St. George’s is a medical school, they offer biomedical science which I was looking to apply for.
yeh go with that, UEA and Kent
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
yeh go with that, UEA and Kent
Thanks for the advice 👍
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks 🙏
Yeah I was also thinking Queen Mary would be the best as it’s a Russel group uni.
Being part of the Russell Group is meaningless. It was just a body set up to try and protect universities who feared losing their research funding. Queen Mary only joined the Russell Group in 2011. Prior to that it was in the 1994 group with East Anglia and I believe Essex
money-for-all
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Being part of the Russell Group is meaningless. It was just a body set up to try and protect universities who feared losing their research funding. Queen Mary only joined the Russell Group in 2011. Prior to that it was in the 1994 group with East Anglia and I believe Essex
You can't say it's 'meaningless'.

Being in the Russel Group does differentiate between universities.

Let's be honest and stop being naive...
The general population, including employers will have a pre-judgement of Russel Group universities being better than Non-RG universities (whether you like it or not).

Be realistic when giving advice. What you're saying is not accurate - It's just like saying Gucci and Primark have the same type clothes, jumpers, jackets etc -
But in reality, we all know Gucci is worth more (just because of it's name). Poor example I know aha, but you get my point

I wish I had enough grades to be able to attend a RG Uni.
Unfortunately, I don't. But, if you do - Make sure you go to a RG University !
Last edited by money-for-all; 1 year ago
The-judge-16
Rep:
?

The general population, including employers will have a pre-judgement of Russel Group universities being better than Non-RG universities (whether you like it or not).

Be realistic when giving advice. What you're saying is not accurate - It's just like saying Gucci and Primark have the same type clothes, jumpers, jackets etc -
But in reality, we all know Gucci is worth more (just because of it's name). Poor example I know aha, but you get my point

Thank you for your advice, hopefully I can achieve the grades to attend a Russel group university. It’s just going to be sooo hard though, as I’m picking biology and chemistry.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

The general population, including employers, do not know which universities are members of the russell group. Most employer age people *might* prefer universities that are Red Brick (but again most people couldn't name which universities are red bricks) but russell group is something that has only really been used in (RG) marketing materials since about 2008ish (with a big ramp up in 2011 when the membership got expanded and the fees went up).

RG universities are not selective - they take students with grades as low as CDD (lower for foundation years).
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Lets put the facts out for everyone to see for themselves.

Prior to 1992 there was no Russell Group or any other group and only a small amount were known as universities. Many were set up in the 1960s and 1970s and were not allowed to be universities. They were called polytechnics. Early in the 1990s the government decided to allow establishments who previously couldnt be universities to apply for university status. This allowed polytechnics and others to apply for research funding which had previously been the domain of the older longer established universities. They feared the loss of this lucrative funding so got together to set up a body to protect their interests. In 1994 they held a meeting at the Russell Hotel in Bloomsbury and the Russell Group as it became known was formed. This group consisted of universities mainly in bigger cities They originally didnt include Cardiff, Kings or Queens Belfast nor Durham, Exeter, York and Queen Mary who joined in 2012.

In response a group of smaller city university set up another group called the 1994 group and that included the likes of Durham, Exeter, Bath, Lancaster, St Andrews, York, East Anglia, and Queen Mary amongst others. The evidence shows that prior to the universities leaving the 1994 group to join the RG group that the RG universities were outperformed in all the UK rankings by 1994 group universities and the likes of St Andrews, Bath, Durham, Exeter and Lancaster are still ranked in the top dozen or so universities.

The Russell Group is extremely good at self publicity and people like yourself unfortunately fall for it. The latest Complete University rankings show Kings 25th, Cardiff 26th, Liverpool 28th Sheffield 33rd Queens 37th and Queen Mary 41st whilst non Russell group universities St Andrews 3rd, Lancaster 7th Loughborough 8th and Bath 9th so 4 of the top 9 are actually non Russell Group universities. This has been the case for several years. Incidentally St Andrews, Lancaster, Loghborough and Bath all used to be part of the 1994 group as did Durham 6th and Exeter 11th. The truth is Durham and Exeter havent suddenly improved and the likes of St Andrews, Lancaster, and Bath havent got worse by not joining RG.

Hopefully this explains why being part of RG doesnt mean you are suddenly a top university and how you have been fooled into believing everything in the RG is better than those that arent. It really doesnt mean anything.
money-for-all
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lets put the facts out for everyone to see for themselves.

Prior to 1992 there was no Russell Group or any other group and only a small amount were known as universities. Many were set up in the 1960s and 1970s and were not allowed to be universities. They were called polytechnics. Early in the 1990s the government decided to allow establishments who previously couldnt be universities to apply for university status. This allowed polytechnics and others to apply for research funding which had previously been the domain of the older longer established universities. They feared the loss of this lucrative funding so got together to set up a body to protect their interests. In 1994 they held a meeting at the Russell Hotel in Bloomsbury and the Russell Group as it became known was formed. This group consisted of universities mainly in bigger cities They originally didnt include Cardiff, Kings or Queens Belfast nor Durham, Exeter, York and Queen Mary who joined in 2012.

In response a group of smaller city university set up another group called the 1994 group and that included the likes of Durham, Exeter, Bath, Lancaster, St Andrews, York, East Anglia, and Queen Mary amongst others. The evidence shows that prior to the universities leaving the 1994 group to join the RG group that the RG universities were outperformed in all the UK rankings by 1994 group universities and the likes of St Andrews, Bath, Durham, Exeter and Lancaster are still ranked in the top dozen or so universities.

The Russell Group is extremely good at self publicity and people like yourself unfortunately fall for it. The latest Complete University rankings show Kings 25th, Cardiff 26th, Liverpool 28th Sheffield 33rd Queens 37th and Queen Mary 41st whilst non Russell group universities St Andrews 3rd, Lancaster 7th Loughborough 8th and Bath 9th so 4 of the top 9 are actually non Russell Group universities. This has been the case for several years. Incidentally St Andrews, Lancaster, Loghborough and Bath all used to be part of the 1994 group as did Durham 6th and Exeter 11th. The truth is Durham and Exeter havent suddenly improved and the likes of St Andrews, Lancaster, and Bath havent got worse by not joining RG.

Hopefully this explains why being part of RG doesnt mean you are suddenly a top university and how you have been fooled into believing everything in the RG is better than those that arent. It really doesnt mean anything.
Damn man, You really be writing paragraphs, I'm sorry I said my opinion, I rather take the L than read all of that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
8.16%
I need help researching courses (4)
8.16%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.12%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
48.98%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
20.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.04%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads