erin2004
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi!
So now that GCSE exams have been cancelled I want to start preparing for my A-Levels. My school is setting no work for me.
Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare?
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What subjects are you planning to do for A level? In general I would say make sure you’re confident with the GCSE content for those subjects.
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Enjoy your summer (as best you can)
Export kid
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A comprehensive understanding of GCSE knowledge is the best way to hit the ground running in year 12. Any new content is best delivered by a teacher in my experience
erin2004
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
What subjects are you planning to do for A level? In general I would say make sure you’re confident with the GCSE content for those subjects.
I think I’m going to take English literature, history and government & politics.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by erin2004)
Hi!
So now that GCSE exams have been cancelled I want to start preparing for my A-Levels. My school is setting no work for me.
Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare?
Hi erin2004!

I'd recommend looking at the specification for each subject from the exam board and having a look at the content. Start reading around the subject/watching Youtube video's about the topics. Maybe email your Sixth Form asking what books will be covered in English Lit for example so you can start reading them.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

Erin - Official Student Rep
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
see if you can get the reading list for english lit and start reading a few of the texts- i wish i did that before i started studying the subject!! you might want to have a look at exam papers, the spec and exemplar essays for the subjects just to gain some understanding of what will be expected of you at a level. you don't need to do tons of prep though and there's only so much you can do anyway in preparation so try not to stress too much. wider reading for all the subjects you're studying is also another thing you could be doing.
Young_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by erin2004)
I think I’m going to take English literature, history and government & politics.
I can't speak for too much other than Government & Politics. I don't know what exam board you're doing but I did AQA and I've just finished 2nd year, hoping to study it at university this year now. Preparing yourself for politics is fairly easy, just understand that it's not all about debates. It's almost entirely theory. You won't be debating much unless if your class is divided and are quite close, which happens often, and then debates will naturally occur whilst working in class, but they won't be part of the specification or anything. The best thing you can do is to keep up to date with current political news. Download news apps which report on UK news, and US news (as I'm pretty sure all exam boards cover US politics also). Our teacher recommended BBC News and the Washington Post apps. If you want to get more in depth news coverage and analysis, I'd recommend paying for a subscription based news provider as they normally provide much better analysis of political situations. The other thing I can suggest for preparing is to read books, which is convenient since we're in a lockdown. Buy some books online on anything to do with politics. I'd recommend buying books that cover your political views and from important political theorists from the political views you have as they will be useful when you cover the Ideologies topic (which will be present if you do AQA, not sure for other exam boards) and still useful even if you don't have the Ideologies on your specification. Books usually sell for much cheaper on eBay, so I'd recommend looking for books and then buying from eBay.
So, in short, keep up with current political news (reading analysis and opinion articles if possible) and buy some books and get reading.
Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (367)
19.73%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads