AmberDunmore
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which will have the greatest species diversity, and why?

A- a woodland with 10 different species, and approximately 100 individuals of each species
B- a woodland with 25 different species, in which 90% of all individuals belong to one species

Thank you.
HarisMalik98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Species diversity takes into account two things:

1) The number of different species (species richness)
2) The relative abundance of each species in comparison to each other (species evenness)

For example, a community may have loads of species (high species richness), but one species may dominant and account for the vast majority of the relative abundance of organisms in the community (low species evenness). In this case, that community would not be described as diverse.

Another community may have less species, but each species shows a similar abundance of organisms and, hence, an even distribution of species. This community could be described as diverse.

Use this to answer the question.

(There is a formula you can use to calculate the diversity index, but you need to know the total numbers of each species - which isn't given for community B).
Last edited by HarisMalik98; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.3%
I need help researching courses (13)
6.4%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.43%
I need help with my personal statement (85)
41.87%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (51)
25.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.48%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed