OceanClio
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I’m looking at self-catered accommodation at Exeter and I’m thinking of applying for East Park (standard and en-suite), St. Germans, Birks Grange Village Townhouse, and Lafrowda (in order of preference).

Can anyone who’s stayed at any of these accommodations give me their opinion? Also I heard that St. Germans is pretty run down but I’ve seen some really nice tour videos of it so I’d like to know what people think.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by OceanClio; 1 year ago
MayaCaswell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OceanClio)
Hi everyone,

I’m looking at self-catered accommodation at Exeter and I’m thinking of applying for East Park (standard and en-suite), St. Germans, Birks Grange Village Townhouse, and Lafrowda (in order of preference).

Can anyone who’s stayed at any of these accommodations give me their opinion? Also I heard that St. Germans is pretty run down but I’ve seen some really nice tour videos of it so I’d like to know what people think.

Thanks for your help!
I'm also planning to apply to these with East Park being my preference.
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OceanClio)
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help!
Hi OceanClio,

You might find our ask a current student messaging service useful to help you gain more insight into the different accommodation we have. Even though they may not have lived in precisely the accommodation you are shortlisting, they may have had friends who lived there and might be able to help you come to a decision about where to choose. Just something it is worth trying if you do not get many responses here.

Good luck with making your decision! I am sure you will enjoy whichever accommodation you do end up in, but it is good to be organised and work out which is most suited to you.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Aprils_Renegade
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I'm finishing up my first year and I stayed in Lafrowda so I may be able to weigh in.

I will start off by saying that I may be slightly biased as I was in Lafrowda and I loved it there, but I do also have friends who stayed in all of your accommodation preferences with the exception of East Park as it's brand new and still being built in phases. The first thing you have to ask yourself is this: What is your lifestyle like, and what matters to you in accommodation? Do you like to drink and go out? Do you prefer something quieter and keep to yourself? Whatever you live like will play a part in where you'll be most happy.

- Lafrowda is considered somewhat of a party accommodation, and will typically house students who like to go out and socialize. It's the most popular accommodation and is competitive as it's a prime location for its distance to campus, town, and lemmy (Lemon Grove, the on-campus club). If you like to go out, this will be an ideal accommodation for you. But keep in mind with Lafrowda that when you apply there, you can be placed into either 'new' Lafrowda (modern buildings built in 2012-2013) and 'old' Lafrowda (grey brick buildings built in the 70s), both of which cost the same. Unfortunately, you don't get a choice in this matter and won't know which you've been allocated to until you find out your room in August. All of Lafrowda's blocks are next to each other and carry the same benefits, but Old Lafrowda may be considered not as nice or desirable by some students due to its narrower corridors and grey brick appearance. I stayed in New Lafrowda, where it's more modern and lovely inside. I haven't been to Old Lafrowda myself and rely on the experience of friends who were there, so I can't fairly comment. New Lafrowda will have 8 people to a flat, with two flats on each floor and either 5 or 6 floors, so about 96 people per block.

- Rowe & St. German's have a slightly different vibe to it, but from the few times that I've been, I'd say it's nice and well-kept. While Lafrowda is the active and social residence, Rowe & St. German's tends to have people who prefer quieter living and don't go out as much - if you don't drink or go out this might be the better accommodation for you. It does have its perks by having double beds and bigger rooms than Lafrowda and is next door to the Lafrowda blocks so it has the same location benefits. The corridors are narrower so it may feel a tiny bit cramped, but Rowe & St. German's has the added benefit of having a "living room" or communal space that's next to the kitchen, while something like Lafrowda or Birks Grange will have a communal space that's smaller and bleeds into the kitchen, so it doesn't really feel like one - more like an extended kitchen. Rowe & St. German's has about 8 people to a flat on a floor with an average of 4 floors to a block, but the building layout really varies so it's hard to say for each one.

- Birks Grange Townhouse is similar to Birks Grange, only a townhouse will have 8-9 people to each one for the entire building/block - there are fewer people and the facilities are nicer, but it's more expensive than regular Birks Grange. I know a 2nd year who was in a townhouse for his first year, and he really liked the experience - still stays in touch with his flat, as having fewer people helped to get to know each other closer. The Townhouses are different in that it's just you and your flat to the entire building - you won't have any neighbours on other floors, so to speak. Birks is on the other end of the campus, and is further from your lecture buildings and considerably further from town - about 10-15 minutes extra walking time than if you were to walk from Lafrowda or Rowe & St. German's. Not to mention you'll have to go up cardiac hill every time you go to lectures - you'll find out what it is if you live in Birks

- East Park I can't comment on as it's brand new and it was still being built when I was still in Lafrowda. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you can see it from Lafrowda's windows and is close to campus, but 5 minutes or so further from town. It will have the added disadvantage of having building works going on while you're living there, which can get annoying - Lafrowda had renovation works going on this year, so I speak from experience when I say that the building noises will be bothersome. It will have the added bonus of being brand new and modern, which is always nice.

At the end of the day, it depends on what your lifestyle and what matters to you in halls. If you like to go out and like to have everything close by, I could not recommend it any more - it's an amazing vibe to live in, and you will come to love every aspect of it and enjoy how convenient the location is. If you prefer something quieter, I'd say go for Rowe & St. German's as it's better for that reason but still close to everything. Birks Townhouse is a bit of an odd one as it's further away and not necessarily cheaper - but I can't fairly comment. East Park should be nice with a decent location, but it's hard to say what it will be like once it's built and open.

If you like the sound of Lafrowda and are considering living there, definitely put it as your first choice - it's very competitive, so the chances of you getting it aren't that high. If you get it - fantastic, you're one of the lucky ones. If you don't - no hard feelings. Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions about any of the accommodations and I'll do my best to answer
OceanClio
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Aprils_Renegade)
Hey, I'm finishing up my first year and I stayed in Lafrowda so I may be able to weigh in.

I will start off by saying that I may be slightly biased as I was in Lafrowda and I loved it there, but I do also have friends who stayed in all of your accommodation preferences with the exception of East Park as it's brand new and still being built in phases. The first thing you have to ask yourself is this: What is your lifestyle like, and what matters to you in accommodation? Do you like to drink and go out? Do you prefer something quieter and keep to yourself? Whatever you live like will play a part in where you'll be most happy.

- Lafrowda is considered somewhat of a party accommodation, and will typically house students who like to go out and socialize. It's the most popular accommodation and is competitive as it's a prime location for its distance to campus, town, and lemmy (Lemon Grove, the on-campus club). If you like to go out, this will be an ideal accommodation for you. But keep in mind with Lafrowda that when you apply there, you can be placed into either 'new' Lafrowda (modern buildings built in 2012-2013) and 'old' Lafrowda (grey brick buildings built in the 70s), both of which cost the same. Unfortunately, you don't get a choice in this matter and won't know which you've been allocated to until you find out your room in August. All of Lafrowda's blocks are next to each other and carry the same benefits, but Old Lafrowda may be considered not as nice or desirable by some students due to its narrower corridors and grey brick appearance. I stayed in New Lafrowda, where it's more modern and lovely inside. I haven't been to Old Lafrowda myself and rely on the experience of friends who were there, so I can't fairly comment. New Lafrowda will have 8 people to a flat, with two flats on each floor and either 5 or 6 floors, so about 96 people per block.

- Rowe & St. German's have a slightly different vibe to it, but from the few times that I've been, I'd say it's nice and well-kept. While Lafrowda is the active and social residence, Rowe & St. German's tends to have people who prefer quieter living and don't go out as much - if you don't drink or go out this might be the better accommodation for you. It does have its perks by having double beds and bigger rooms than Lafrowda and is next door to the Lafrowda blocks so it has the same location benefits. The corridors are narrower so it may feel a tiny bit cramped, but Rowe & St. German's has the added benefit of having a "living room" or communal space that's next to the kitchen, while something like Lafrowda or Birks Grange will have a communal space that's smaller and bleeds into the kitchen, so it doesn't really feel like one - more like an extended kitchen. Rowe & St. German's has about 8 people to a flat on a floor with an average of 4 floors to a block, but the building layout really varies so it's hard to say for each one.

- Birks Grange Townhouse is similar to Birks Grange, only a townhouse will have 8-9 people to each one for the entire building/block - there are fewer people and the facilities are nicer, but it's more expensive than regular Birks Grange. I know a 2nd year who was in a townhouse for his first year, and he really liked the experience - still stays in touch with his flat, as having fewer people helped to get to know each other closer. The Townhouses are different in that it's just you and your flat to the entire building - you won't have any neighbours on other floors, so to speak. Birks is on the other end of the campus, and is further from your lecture buildings and considerably further from town - about 10-15 minutes extra walking time than if you were to walk from Lafrowda or Rowe & St. German's. Not to mention you'll have to go up cardiac hill every time you go to lectures - you'll find out what it is if you live in Birks

- East Park I can't comment on as it's brand new and it was still being built when I was still in Lafrowda. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you can see it from Lafrowda's windows and is close to campus, but 5 minutes or so further from town. It will have the added disadvantage of having building works going on while you're living there, which can get annoying - Lafrowda had renovation works going on this year, so I speak from experience when I say that the building noises will be bothersome. It will have the added bonus of being brand new and modern, which is always nice.

At the end of the day, it depends on what your lifestyle and what matters to you in halls. If you like to go out and like to have everything close by, I could not recommend it any more - it's an amazing vibe to live in, and you will come to love every aspect of it and enjoy how convenient the location is. If you prefer something quieter, I'd say go for Rowe & St. German's as it's better for that reason but still close to everything. Birks Townhouse is a bit of an odd one as it's further away and not necessarily cheaper - but I can't fairly comment. East Park should be nice with a decent location, but it's hard to say what it will be like once it's built and open.

If you like the sound of Lafrowda and are considering living there, definitely put it as your first choice - it's very competitive, so the chances of you getting it aren't that high. If you get it - fantastic, you're one of the lucky ones. If you don't - no hard feelings. Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions about any of the accommodations and I'll do my best to answer
Thanks, this helped a lot! From the sound of it Rowes and St. Germans sounds like the best choice for me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
7.69%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.77%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
46.15%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (12)
23.08%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.77%

Watched Threads