The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 1
Excellent! And for the record, we're definitely better than Nottingham :P There are a lot of IR and Politics people about. Anything you need to know about Politics? Or indeed the University in general?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Dionysus
Excellent! And for the record, we're definitely better than Nottingham :P There are a lot of IR and Politics people about. Anything you need to know about Politics? Or indeed the University in general?

I have too many questions ! First of all, what is the bulk or workload of reading material (assuming IR & Politics is similar) in the first year ? Second, what kind of activities or essays/dissertations do you have to do and how often ? And just speaking generally, what is the sports scene like at Sheffield ? I vaguely recall there being a dry ski slope being there when I went about 6 or 7 years ago, but at the moment I'm more interested in tennis and football. Finally, accommodation wise, where is the closest place to the Politics department ? I don't mind it if I can't make that particular accommodation, but just so I know. Sorry for hitting you with all those questions ! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Sirocco11
I have too many questions ! First of all, what is the bulk or workload of reading material (assuming IR & Politics is similar) in the first year ? Second, what kind of activities or essays/dissertations do you have to do and how often ? And just speaking generally, what is the sports scene like at Sheffield ? I vaguely recall there being a dry ski slope being there when I went about 6 or 7 years ago, but at the moment I'm more interested in tennis and football. Finally, accommodation wise, where is the closest place to the Politics department ? I don't mind it if I can't make that particular accommodation, but just so I know. Sorry for hitting you with all those questions ! :biggrin:

The workload, if you read everything provided for you, is horrendous. In practice, however, you do NOT need to do so. You can pass by doing pretty much sweet F.A as long as your essays are in on time. Most people choose a path in between, have a good time, don't take it too seriously, and get a decent grade. The grade for the first year is pretty irrelevant though - all you have to do is pass. It's wiped clean for the second year, when it starts to count.

For 20 credit modules, you'll normally have two assessments plus the exam each semester. These assessments normally take the form of essays or similar, but for POL103, if it hasn't changed, it will involve a group project in each semester. Make sure you do enough work for these, because groups and individuals have a tendency to stab people in the back and report them for non-contribution, often unfairly. This happened to me in the first semester and it took a lot of protesting from the rest of my group for anyone to accept I had done nothing wrong.

10 credit modules tend to just have one essay per semester. On top of these, of course, there is an exam for each module at the end of the semester.

There are LOTS of opportunities for sports, and yes there is a ski village in the city. In terms of accomodation, any of the city campus accomodation is ideal, but there are good public transport links from places like Endcliffe.

Latest

Trending

Trending