Leanneholly
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi,

I am about to go into my 3rd year of nursing, and am wondering if it’s possible that I complete a masters in paramedic science.

Does anyone know if it’s possible?

I have not struggled through my course so the workload I wouldn’t find difficult it’s more of the, would I still be able to register as a nurse to bank shift through it? As it’s a further 2 year course?

Or would I have to stay as a band 2 ... and not register as a nurse until I’ve finished being a paramedic? .. and register in a few years etc if I ever decide to go back to being a nurse?

Has anyone done this before?

I really want to do the paramedic science course .. So not to sure what I have to do with my nursing degree.

The requirements for the MSc state I need the degree so I’m finishing it anyway and applying next year for January 2022 intake. So will I have to still register on the NMC to get my pin or .....

Any help will be appreciated !
Rockyboy18
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hello,

I qualified as a nurse September 2019. Currently working as an icu nurse. I opted to work for a year and start my paramedic journey after gaming some nursing experience. I start January 2021.

Nevertheless, I know a few people from my previous university cohort who went straight into paramedic practice and they seem to be enjoying it.

Hope this helps
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Leanneholly)
Hi,

I am about to go into my 3rd year of nursing, and am wondering if it’s possible that I complete a masters in paramedic science.

Does anyone know if it’s possible?

I have not struggled through my course so the workload I wouldn’t find difficult it’s more of the, would I still be able to register as a nurse to bank shift through it? As it’s a further 2 year course?

Or would I have to stay as a band 2 ... and not register as a nurse until I’ve finished being a paramedic? .. and register in a few years etc if I ever decide to go back to being a nurse?

Has anyone done this before?

I really want to do the paramedic science course .. So not to sure what I have to do with my nursing degree.

The requirements for the MSc state I need the degree so I’m finishing it anyway and applying next year for January 2022 intake. So will I have to still register on the NMC to get my pin or .....

Any help will be appreciated !
It's very unlikely any reputable nursing bank would take on a newly qualified nurse unfortunately. Most require anything from 6 months to a year's experience. You can't go through a preceptorship when on the bank and would really be thrown in at the deep end.

If you want to be able to practice as a nurse at any point you will need to apply for NMC registration and get your PIN.

I'm not really sure why you would go back to nursing after finishing your paramedic course, but it is much harder to start working as a qualified nurse if you have had a break after qualifying. You might also find it is much more of a struggle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads