How to stop maladaptive daydreaming?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
It's robbed me of my time and life. It's a coping mechanism and i don't want to do it anymore. I'm 22 this year and I've been doing it for far too long. I can sit for hours several time a day just doing it.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's robbed me of my time and life. It's a coping mechanism and i don't want to do it anymore. I'm 22 this year and I've been doing it for far too long. I can sit for hours several time a day just doing it.
Maladaptive daydreaming is a behavioural addiction
Try not to give yourself 'time' too do it- distract yourself. Reward yourself when you don't. Set specific targets about stopping it. CBT might be good.
Do you have any other psychiatric conditions? Maladaptive daydream is yet to be fully understood, however, it is theorised that it maybe actually a symptom of conditions like OCD and ADHD opposed to a distinct condition.
Some medications normally used for OCD/ other behavioural addictions have shown great promise in treating it. In addition there is a really interesting new treatment for behavioural addictions called N-acetylcysteine (in very low dosages). Admittedly I have a family member who took it however it didn't work for him.
Last edited by glassalice; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.28%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (664)
49.37%

Watched Threads