Lockdown - Worth it or not?

Watch
money-for-all
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
In my opinon, the lockdown should be lifted now.
The economy is suffering.

They should just put social distancing rules in place and reopen everything.
Lift the damn lockdown!

Agree or nah?
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I strongly disagree
Young_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
We're in agreement. The worse the economy gets, the more deaths will happen due to the crashed economy.
Nobody7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by money-for-all)

Lift the damn lockdown!

Agree or nah?
It's gonna be difficult to put in place social distancing if everything reopens, lol people aren't even following the rules now anyway. It's probably gonna risk the disease spreading even more.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago

Lift the damn lockdown!

Agree or nah?
Arent you bothered about the virus and people dying?
The lockdown is a social distancing measure.
money-for-all
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Arent you bothered about the virus and people dying?
The lockdown is a social distancing measure.
Ofcourse I'm bothered.
But, I'm running out of money. The government refuse me universal credit because of some savings I have.
I was saving up for a house deposit, but looks like I'm gonna be set back by 3 years. I'm using my savings right now.

I have lost my job.
I will die of starvation due to not being able to afford food before I die of the coronavirus.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Ofcourse I'm bothered.
But, I'm running out of money. The government refuse me universal credit because of some savings I have.
I was saving up for a house deposit, but looks like I'm gonna be set back by 3 years. I'm using my savings right now.

I have lost my job.
I will die of starvation due to not being able to afford food before I die of the coronavirus.
Tad confused.

You've got £16k+ so you ain't starving any time soon

Gonna take a while - a year or so? Before you run out of money.

Before you do you'll qualify for UC.
999tigger
Report 8 months ago
Ofcourse I'm bothered.

I have lost my job.
Do you have a mortgage and family?
How much are you spending a week?
If you have savings then you have access to funds to support yourself.
You are unlucky your employer didnt furlough you.
You will have to find another job either at a supermarket or warehouse would be a start.
Its only been 6 weeks. Think most people will be back in another 6 if not before.
How much money do you need to last 6-8 weeks?
When you fall below the savings limits then you can apply for benefits.
money-for-all
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Tad confused.

You've got £16k+ so you ain't starving any time soon

Gonna take a while - a year or so? Before you run out of money.

Before you do you'll qualify for UC.
Yeah, but you don't understand.
The money that I saved was intended for a different purpose.

I'm going to come out poor with this lockdown.
No one in my field is hiring.

I rather take my chances with coronavirus.

In my opinion, You should be able to decide for yourself if you want to go outside in the current circumstances. It should not be forced in form of a lockdown.
If you are too scared to go outside, then don't. But if you want to, then go out.
Calibrated.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Ofcourse I'm bothered.

I have lost my job.
If you've got enough stashed away to be ineligible for universal credit, you are in a far better position than a lot of people.

You aren't going to die of starvation. Stop being melodramatic.
money-for-all
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trotsky's Ghost)
If you've got enough stashed away to be ineligible for universal credit, you are in a far better position than a lot of people.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to save money? not everyone has the bank of mum and dad to support them.
I need a job, to get a job..I need to be out of the damn house. For that, the lockdown needs to be lifted.

The money I saved was intended for a house deposit, so I can stop paying rent.

My rent alone in London is £900/month.
So, roughly £1500 down the drain a month without any cash inflow.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to save £1500?
leopard202
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Ghost)

Even if you ARE eligible for Universal Credit, people are having to wait weeks and weeks to even have their application looked at. I applied about a month ago with no update. My mother applied nearly 2 months ago and they approved it just now but still unable to tell her how much she will get. So people can't rely on getting UC when they need it
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yeah, but you don't understand.
The money that I saved was intended for a different purpose.

I'm going to come out poor with this lockdown.
No one in my field is hiring.

I rather take my chances with coronavirus.

In my opinion, You should be able to decide for yourself if you want to go outside in the current circumstances. It should not be forced in form of a lockdown.
If you are too scared to go outside, then don't. But if you want to, then go out.
Intended, but you hadn't used it.

Ok, but you are allowed to go to work if your job requires it.

Thatd be cool if folk who want to chance it give up their rights for medical treatment.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Do you have any idea how long it takes to save £1500?
A month.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Whilst sensible and needed when it was implemented I think we are running the risk of the cure being worse than the disease. The economic and societal impact of this will go on for years and the longer we are in lockdown the worse it will become. The sensible thing would be to start easing restrictions slowly to allow healthy individuals to start to go back to work whilst keeping the most vulnerable in isolation. That's just my opinion though.
Bincw
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Lift the damn lockdown!

Agree or nah?
I agree
Pidove
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes there has been a big over-reaction, the lockdown needs to be at least lifted partially.
Countdown2Crash
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Lift the damn lockdown!

Agree or nah?
I can see the social and economic arguments for both sides, but here are my thoughts:

Personally, I don't think the lockdown should be lifted now (immediately), but I do think that we will begin to see a few of the restrictions lift over the course of the next few weeks. I know that the leaked Government paper suggests that Garden Centres and Waste Disposal Tips (to name a couple) are set to reopen on 07 May, though that is yet to be officially confirmed by the Government themselves. There was also rumour on the front of the Daily Mail the other day that social restrictions on no gatherings of more than 2 people (from outside your household) would be lifted to 10 people, and that you could travel to their house and vice versa, though I don't personally see this going ahead and fear that it would lead to widespread disregard to the other restrictions and rules in place.

I know a lot of people are struggling, and calls to mental health and domestic abuse hotlines have risen substantially during the lockdown period. As a social reason for lifting lockdown, I think it is a valid point to make. A lot of people are feeling isolated or abandoned, but I don't necessarily agree it is the best course of action to take. As with the economic argument, there is reason to say that the economic damage has been substantial already, and lifting it would help. Yes, it would, but if the R-0 factor rises above one again, we could see another lockdown, something that would be even more detrimental to the economy.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) has previously predicted the UK Deficit to rise to 14% at the end of this, with the national debt as a percentage of the GDP to rise above 100%. These figures are, obviously, very alarming. My greatest concern is that it has taken us 13-years to get to a point where we can start to lift austerity measures from the financial crash back in the late 2000s, where the deficit rose to 7%. With that in mind, it would be a safe estimate to say that it would take at least 26-years to see a 14% deficit be levelled out, which could potentially see us at 2050 before harsh austerity measures begin to be lifted (I never studied economics so please do feel free to correct me if I am wrong!).

We saw today that motor vehicle usage rose to 44% of that in February as more people begin to get out and about, and that is almost inevitable when people start getting fed up and tired of the measures in place. I know that I, for one, am desperate to get out and see my girlfriend, but that does have to wait until it is safe to do so.

Germany has seen restrictions lifted slightly, but they have also seen their R-0 figure rise above one, meaning that every one person infected is infecting, on average, more than one person, causing the virus to spread. This is something that we must avoid if we want to avoid a second peak/second lockdown, and so forth.

Yes, the economy is suffering, and in an ideal world, we would lift restrictions. Unfortunately, there are a substantial number of people that are "at risk" to the virus, from students to the most elderly. We cannot afford to put people at risk, hence why the schools remain closed (though I have heard rumour of the 1st June being a potential reopening date from the head of the headteachers association).

The new "normal" after all of this is over will, as you say, likely see social distancing measures in place for a very long time (I daren't put an estimate because I reckon it could be at least 18-months until a vaccine is widely and commercially available for the general public). I think measures will be lifted very slightly going forward, but by no means lifted entirely. Universities, I reckon, won't go back this calendar year (January 2021 at the earliest, I heard rumoured), and restaurants/pubs likely to reopen in time for summer.

The world will be a very different place once we see an end to this.
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
No! If we lift now thousands more people will die
username3689312
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You are an idiot if you think lock-down should be lifted.

I'd rather be in lock-down than dead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (268)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed