The Student Room Group

Lockdown - Worth it or not?

Scroll to see replies

I get why some people are frustrated with the lockdown but personally I really don’t think it should be lifted just yet, at least until the end of the month. We may be past the peak but hundreds in the uk are still dying everyday. We need to stay at home in order to make sure we don’t get a rise in cases. Just a few more ****ing weeks and maybe we can begin to lift it.
If you need money then go get a job at a supermarket for now. They’re all hiring, they really need the help. Just keep safe. You can go back to finding jobs in the field you want after this is actually all over. For now no one else is hiring except supermarkets.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by money-for-all
In my opinon, the lockdown should be lifted now.
The economy is suffering.

They should just put social distancing rules in place and reopen everything.
Lift the damn lockdown!

Agree or nah?

not worth it. my life is a mess now thanks
Reply 42
Original post by Ciel.
not worth it. my life is a mess now thanks

it is not a mess. 25k+ people died. You survived!
Reply 43
Original post by mgi
it is not a mess. 25k+ people died. You survived!

25k died exactly. the lockdown doesn't do ****. pointless torture
Reply 44
Original post by Ciel.

without the lockdown many more would have died!
Original post by Ciel.

The number would be a hell of a lot higher than it is now if we didn’t put the lockdown in place. We’ve saved thousands of lives by being in this lockdown. It’s not pointless at all
Reply 46
Original post by mgi

i don't think so. i believe covid's been around since november.
Reply 47
Original post by sophbrand31
The number would be a hell of a lot higher than it is now if we didn’t put the lockdown in place. We’ve saved thousands of lives by being in this lockdown. It’s not pointless at all

nope.
Original post by money-for-all
In my opinon, the lockdown should be lifted now.
The economy is suffering.

They should just put social distancing rules in place and reopen everything.
Lift the damn lockdown!

Agree or nah?

I disagree
if the government took action earlier the spread of the virus would’ve been significantly lower, lockdown wouldn’t have needed to be so long and the economical impact wouldn’t be so devastating
but they didn’t so here we are
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Ciel.

My grandma is really p*ssed off not entering a shop for over 6 weeks now it’s not doing people much good. She’s stuck with a tv 24/7 at the moment and a lot of frustration and many people are in the same and worse situations. For many this is isn’t life worth living being locked up.

I know I was getting better before this started and now I’m only marginally better than I was in December. I want to take a sledgehammer to my walls sometimes.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Bio 7
My grandma is really p*ssed off not entering a shop for over 6 weeks now it’s not doing people much good. She’s stuck with a tv 24/7 at the moment and a lot of frustration and many people are in the same and worse situations. For many this is isn’t life worth living being locked up.

it's stupid, just let people choose what they wanna to with their lives. don't go out if you don't want to. but it's not fair to force everyone.
Reply 51
Original post by Ciel.
it's stupid, just let people choose what they wanna to with their lives. don't go out if you don't want to. but it's not fair to force everyone.

It has to be lifted at some point and until some treatment that fixes the issue is created waiting is just delaying. Do people think a lockdown will kill it off for us?
Reply 52
Original post by Bio 7
It has to be lifted at some point and until some treatment that fixes the issue is created waiting is just delaying. Do people think a lockdown will kill it off for us?

idk. i'm not into conspiracies but the whole thing is starting to feel dodgy.
More than 30m people in the US have filed for unemployement in the past 4-6 weeks
We are in a depression that is the worst its been since the great depression.
The GDP loss alone this quarter is very high
Oxfam predicts with the way things are doing now, half a billion people will be pushed into a poverty.
the recession is likely to extend beyond 2020, meaning many businesses will suffer, people will lose their jobs.

Now, it's up to you to decide how much should be done to save lives from this virus. But it is not unreasonable that people are saying the drawbacks of the lockdown outweigh the amount of lives it saves.
Reply 54
Original post by shwan234

We are in a depression that is the worst its been since the great depression.

the recession is likely to extend beyond 2020,

Really? Why do you think Q1 2021 will be worse than Q4 2020?
Original post by mgi

If it had started a week earlier then fewer people would have died. Having Liverpool's game against Athletico Madrid and the Cheltenham Races with spectators may have cost many lives.
Reply 56
Original post by barnetlad
If it had started a week earlier then fewer people would have died. Having Liverpool's game against Athletico Madrid and the Cheltenham Races with spectators may have cost many lives.

Yes, and we'd be a week more annoyed at it.
Original post by Quady
Yes, and we'd be a week more annoyed at it.

A plan as the Irish have, the Germans have and many others, when there would be something to look forward to, might help. Opening of garden centres, more shops, for example.
Reply 58
Original post by barnetlad
Opening of garden centres,

Or OAP Death Camps as they will be known as in the future.
Reply 59
Original post by Ciel.
i don't think so. i believe covid's been around since november.

This defies logic of how viral diseases spread. If it was around since November, so what? without lockdown the disease would have spread more and you would have got far more deaths and the NHS would have not coped at all. I don't see how your frustration with lockdown negates these facts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending